cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the way to go board for IoT with Wifi/TCPIP/UDP and gpios (adc) for sensor?

Massimiliano Gilli
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2017 at 12:46

Hello,

im quite new to the STM32 ecosystem and i'm looking for a board to start my IoT project.

I found the SWPF01SA module but it is not clear if it is what i want (can't fine much on GPIO).

I assume it doesn't have an ADC so i looked for a dev board. But which one?

Regards,

#spwf #wifi
6 REPLIES 6
Massimiliano Gilli
Associate II
Posted on April 04, 2017 at 14:38

Regarding the ADC stuff, i was indeed wrong the specification is saying GPIO[8] I/O 4 General purpose input/output ADC

So aside for that is it still the IoT chip that an entry user should look for?
Lead
Posted on April 05, 2017 at 09:48

I assume it doesn't have an ADC so i looked for a dev board. But which one?

I did not yet come across a STM32 without ADC.

They all use to have one or more internal ADCs, the only question is, are they usable.

All variants use pin-multiplexing, the less pins the package has, the 'worse'.

If the board designer hooked the pins up for another peripheral (like USB), you have probably lost.

This means, cross-check the board schematics with the datasheet of the MCU.

For IoT, you will need Ethernet. Select boards with ethernet, and check those.

KIC8462852 had been posting some good proposals.

Posted on April 05, 2017 at 11:06

The Discovery Kits with STMod+ extension (Disco L496/F723) will guarante at least one ADC input pin and PWM at fixed location. By looking at the alternate functions on the connector, more ADC/DAC/PWM seems there without conflict with Arduino connector.

Posted on April 05, 2017 at 11:31

Since the OP was not very specific about his requirements (number of ADC channels, resolution, rates, etc.), I assume he can manage the search/selection process himself.

Posted on April 05, 2017 at 11:33

Yes but those boards are huge, the NodeMCU ESP8266 or Particle Photon is the product-size i'm looking for but i wanted something more 'professional' and  highly certified.