Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X measures oscillates 1mm in 12mm range - it seems too much

zhivko zivkovic
Associate III

Code is at:

https://github.com/zhivko/LaserMeasure_VL53L0X/blob/master/main/Server.cpp

problem is oscilation of measurement. on 10mm range it moves almost 2mm constantly... see video.

2 REPLIES 2
du00000001
Associate II

I didn't check your source code, but as you're displaying sub-mm values, you're obviously doing some post-processing.

So let me ask some simple questions:

• Are you aware that you get a resolution of 1 mm/Bit? So a toggling of 1 mm is inevitable.
  • Are you aware that the precision stated is +/- 20 .. 25 mm (depending on ambient light conditions)?
  • Did you risk an eye on the datasheet - especially the measurement error plots?

I'd consider your results "better than to be expected". So what are you complaining about?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

du00000001 is correct, although a bit abrupt.

The best accuracy can be obtained by increasing the ranging time. Does take more power, and more time, but 4 times the time, will give you twice the accuracy as a general rule.

I had one guy keep a running average to increase accuracy. If a new range deviated a lot then he assumed there was movement and he re-started the running average.

This way, you get re-activity and accuracy.

I've been guilty of wanting more accuracy out of the sensor as well. So your observation is not totally unfounded, but the speed of light is really fast and it is a inexpensive sensor.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.