cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X Low Temperature Performance

DAmer.1
Associate

We using the VL53L1X in an application where it will be mounted in a manner that's protected from sunlight, but exposed to cold ambient temperatures - -40°C and possibly lower. The VL53L1X datasheet has a lower operational temperature limit of -20°C and I'm wondering how the sensor behaves below this temperature? Is it possible to use this sensor below -20°C?

Will the data coming off of the sensor have distinguishable characteristics if we're below the minimum operational temperature?

When I read through the form, there are many posts talking about this sensor being meant for indoor applications and to avoid sunlight as that causes issues with the sensor. I'm assuming this is why the sensor is only rated to -20°C.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Turns out the sensor works OK at low temperatures. Lasers actually work better. The only issue is we didn't test down that low for accuracy.

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work. Do check the accuracy.

The only possible failure mode would be the glue that holds the structure together.

After many repeated excursions, the case might develop cracks in the glue.

Might want to deep freeze a few of them repeatedly and convince yourself this is not going to be an issue.

We simply assumed that no one would be using their cell-phone at 20 below.

And even if they did, the cellphone actually provides a lot of heat.

So if you are willing to do the testing for accuracy down that low, go for it.

But the testing is on you - you are going outside the bounds of our datasheet.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'