cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI communication of ISM330DLC with microcontroller fails

Ponmani
Associate II

SPI communication of ISM330DLC with microcontroller fails rarely and randomly. Most of the time, it is observed when it is on a vibrating source. Could you pls give us some idea to know more about this issue and solving it.

9 REPLIES 9
TDK
Guru

Sounds like noise could be affecting the signals. How are the chips connected? Perhaps try a slower clock speed an/dor use LVDS signaling if there is significant distance between the two chips. Better shielding may also help.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

More details needed about your setup, environment, etc.

What, exactly, is the nature of the "failures" ?

@Ponmani wrote:

Most of the time, it is observed when it is on a vibrating source. .

Loose connections?

@Ponmani wrote:

Could you pls give us some idea to know more about this issue and solving it.

So what testing/debugging/investigations have you done so far?

Add diagnostics - eg, UART output - to give insights into what is going on ...

@TDK wrote:

if there is significant distance between the two chips. 

@Ponmani remember that SPI is not designed for going over significant distances - it's designed for comms between chips on a single PCB.

Thanks for the response. We have proper shielding with metal conduits for the SPI lines. I doubt if it can be noise, because, if the failure happens it continuously fails for 2 to 3 hours. Then, it auto- fixes itself.

This is observed when installed on a remote place, (where i dont have the ability to scope the signals). It behaved very well in the lab environment.

No loose connections expected as the device is perfectly sealed

Will try a slower clock

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
@Ponmani wrote:

We have proper shielding with metal conduits for the SPI lines. I doubt if it can be noise, because, if the failure happens it continuously fails for 2 to 3 hours. Then, it auto- fixes itself.

How long are these SPI lines? Again, SPI is not designed for going over significant distances

@Ponmani wrote:

I doubt if it can be noise, because, if the failure happens it continuously fails for 2 to 3 hours. Then, it auto- fixes itself.

I don't think that follows.

@Ponmani wrote:

This is observed when installed on a remote place, (where i dont have the ability to scope the signals)

So what about UART logging? Or logging to RAM?

@Ponmani wrote:

It behaved very well in the lab environment

Well, of course it did - in the nice, clean sanitised conditions of a lab!

Did you do any "stress" testing?

Test at extremes of voltage, temperature, etc?

Test resilience against disruption of comms?

etc, etc, ...

Suppose master/slave become out of sync by 1 bit due to noise. How are you synchronizing data between master and slave? Examining the data and looking for bit shifts would be my first option.

Really feels like a noise issue.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@TDK wrote:

Really feels like a noise issue.

Indeed it does.

Words like "fails rarely and randomly" and "behaved very well in the lab environment" point that way ...