cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need information/utility about FIFO on LSM6DSO32

SBaro.11
Associate III

Hi,

I'am working on a LSM6DSO32, I've read the datasheet and source code example here. But I don't understand the utility of FIFO. In wich case to use FIFO rather than raw register like OUTX_L_G (22h) and OUTX_H_G (23h) for raw X axis angular rate for example ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SBaro.1​ ,

the FIFO is like a volatile memory, where you can store data in a predefined order, and you can retrieve them whenever you want, at the speed of your SPI (so, much higher than the ODR speed).

You can use this feature to synchronize the acquisition of different devices, to store external sensor data, and so on.

In general, as explained in the AN5192 application note (see Section 9 First-in, first out (FIFO) buffer for details), you can store in FIFO the following:

1. Main sensors, which are physical sensors:

a. Accelerometer sensor;

b. Gyroscope sensor;

2. Auxiliary sensors, which contain information of the status of the device:

a. Timestamp sensor;

b. Configuration-change sensor (CFG-Change);

c. Temperature sensor;

3. Virtual sensors:

a. External sensors read from sensor hub interface;

b. Step counter sensor

-Eleon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SBaro.1​ ,

the FIFO is like a volatile memory, where you can store data in a predefined order, and you can retrieve them whenever you want, at the speed of your SPI (so, much higher than the ODR speed).

You can use this feature to synchronize the acquisition of different devices, to store external sensor data, and so on.

In general, as explained in the AN5192 application note (see Section 9 First-in, first out (FIFO) buffer for details), you can store in FIFO the following:

1. Main sensors, which are physical sensors:

a. Accelerometer sensor;

b. Gyroscope sensor;

2. Auxiliary sensors, which contain information of the status of the device:

a. Timestamp sensor;

b. Configuration-change sensor (CFG-Change);

c. Temperature sensor;

3. Virtual sensors:

a. External sensors read from sensor hub interface;

b. Step counter sensor

-Eleon