cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSL - Temperature Accuracy

RNJ
Associate II

We have several units of LSM6DSL in the field and I was looking that this part has an embedded temperature sensor. I would like to understand better the accuracy of this sensor. The datasheet is not clear, showing only this information.

0693W00000aJ3JmQAK.png 

Can I assume the operational range of this sensor is the same as the device (Top = -40~85ºC)?

The datasheet says OFFSET -15/+15 ºC. Is this the accuracy of this sensor? 

Since is 16bits for ADC resolution, the minimal step will be 1/256 ºC. And the range will read 25ºC +/- 127ºC?

The AN5040 shows a table of example values

0693W00000aJ3L9QAK.png 

Considering these values looks like each degree are part of the 8bit register, making 1bit/ºC and with integer values. Can anyone help me understand that?

1 REPLY 1
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @RNJ​ ,

Welcome to ST Community!

About your first question: yes, the operational range is -40-85°C.

The datasheet says OFFSET -15/+15 ºC. Is this the accuracy of this sensor? No, this is the max an min offset meaning that if the room temperature is 25 degree the sensor can show 25+15 °C. Since this is an offset, it can removed by performing a calibration.

In this case, if you are compensating the offset, considering that the LSB value is 1/256°, you could have an accuracy of about +-1.5°C across the +-1°C interval.

Hope this helps.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.