cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DS3 absolute maximum acceleration

SGats
Associate

Dear All,

I have several questions regarding the absolute maximum acceleration, which the chip (LSM6DS3) can resist. The Datasheet says it is 10000g for 0.2 ms

My questions are:

* Is there any difference if the chip is powered or unpowered?

* What does the value exactly mean? Is it valid for the sum of the accelerations, e.g. if you have 8000 g on X and 8000 g on Y it is above? Or for every axis separate, so you can have a 8000 g on X and 8000 g on Y?

* What can be the expected result if the chip is exposed to more than maximum, should it stop returning data or will give incorrect values?

* Maximum range is 16 g, I suspect that everything above that will just be returned as 16 g acceleration?

It will be very helpful you have and can share this information as the device, on which I work may accidentally fall from height and we it should survive this fall.

Kind Regards,

Stanislav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
  • There isn't any difference if the sensor is powered up or not powered
  • The maximum value mean sum of the acceleration
  • It is not possible to exactly define what will be the consequence of exceeding maximum acceleration, it can sop work completely or give incorrect value
  • The output values higher that 16g won't fit in the 16bit output, so the value will be saturated at the maximum

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee
  • There isn't any difference if the sensor is powered up or not powered
  • The maximum value mean sum of the acceleration
  • It is not possible to exactly define what will be the consequence of exceeding maximum acceleration, it can sop work completely or give incorrect value
  • The output values higher that 16g won't fit in the 16bit output, so the value will be saturated at the maximum

Thanks a lot for the answer!