cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lis2dh12 configuration settings for the lowest power consumption

Emiel
Associate II

Are there any options to reduce the power consumption based upon the configuration I have set so far ?
This while still being able to sample at 10Hz 10 bit and using FIFO so that the MCU could stay 'disabled' most of the time.

For my project I need the accelerometer to sample @10 bit, 10Hz and 2G  with the lowest power consumption possible. I have used the FIFO to allow the mcu to sleep (for almost 3 seconds) when nothing else needs to be processed. When the watermark of 30 samples is reached I request it to (burst) read\request the values from the FIFO over the SPI interface (8MHz). The request I did get is to have a similar power consumption.

The drawn current of the entire setup is about 9.5 uA on average when using the lis2dh12.
But when using another accelerometer (bma253) I get about 7 μA total. 
During the measuring I have seen that the minimal drawn power consumption is increased by 2.5μA. 
Therefore I determined with the information available that the accelerometer itself is drawing the extra μA.

The following register settings are set at this time at startup:

fifo_ctrl_reg
- fth 29 (watermark level - 1) 
- tr 0 (interrupt signal on INT1)
- fm 2 (Dynamic streaming mode)

ctrl_reg0
- "the must be set bit" 1 (as required by datasheet)
- sdo_pu_disc 1 (disconnect pull-up)

ctrl_reg1
- odr3:0 0 Power-down mode  (could we improve here?)
- LPen 0  (10 bit normal mode)
- Zen 1 enabled z axis
- Yen 1 enabled y axis
- Xen 1 enabled x axis

ctrl_reg2
- All 0 (Normal mode and filters are bypassed)

ctrl_reg3
- i1_wtm 1 (only watermark interrupt is enabled)
- others 0

ctrl_reg4
- bdu 1 (output registers' are not updated until both MSB and LSB have been read.)
- FS 0 Scale selection set to +-2G

- HR 0  (10 bit normal mode)
- others 0

ctrl_reg5
- fifi_en 1 (only using fifo is enabled)
- others 0

ctrl_reg6
- int_polarity 1 (interrupts are active low)
- others 0

5 REPLIES 5
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Emiel ,

Welcome to ST Community!

The LIS2DH12, in LP ODR 10Hz and FS 2G, should have a current consumption of about 3uA, accordingly to datasheet:

FedericaBossi_0-1714469097550.png

You could try in asynchronous reading instead of using the interrupts, let me know if this reduces the consumptions.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Emiel
Associate II

At 8 bit it is 3uA, but we need to get 10bit values. Therefore it will be 4 according to the datasheet.

@Federica Bossi  are the configuration values correctly set ?
Did we not overlook some application note or a settings to reduce the power consumption?
We are also applying a voltage of 3.65V. The datasheet does not mention at what voltage we should measure 4uA.
I noticed that the current reduced  ~1uA  when applying 2.5V (when mcu sleeps and the lis2dh12 is sampling).

Hi @Emiel ,

The values on the datasheet are at Vdd=1.8V, we expect that as Vdd increases, current consumption will increase.

Your configuration is fine to have a low power consumption, as shown in the table.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Emiel
Associate II

@Federica Bossi Thanks for your confirmation and information.
Do you know what values we could expect at ~3.65V for the lis2dh12.

For another project I have the same question for the LIS2DU12 that mentions a current consumption of 3.4uA at 1.8V  @12,5 Hz. I would therefore also like to know what the expected current is at ~3.65V. Is that information available ?

Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Emiel ,

For LIS2DH12, a current consumption of about 5uA is expected in LP mode, Vdd=3.6 and ODR 10Hz.

For LIS2DU12, when ODR=12.5Hz, LP Mode and FS=2g and Vdd=3.6V we expect about the same values of LIS2DH12.