cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIS2DE12 self test

RKeit.1
Associate III

I am trying to set up a self test process for an assembly including an LIS2DE12. The device works normally when I tilt and invert it. When I try to put it in to self-test mode by writing either 02h or 04h to CTRL_REG4 the readings are the same as with 00h written to CTRL_REG4.

I initially tried using the process for the LIS3DH on Page 57 of AN3308 but that says to write 80h to CTRL_REG4, which does not seem to be valid because that would set the BDU bit to 1, not valid for an 8 bit part, and not set either of the self test bits.

Can someone please shed some light on whether the self-test function is available with the LIS2DE12 and what I can expect from it.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RKeit.1
Associate III

Hello again Eleon,

I have found the problem and now getting good consistent results in self test mode. I had forgotten to set the write bit used by the state engine that controls the SMBUS in the MCU I am using. I still can't get it to work with the Arduino but that doesn't matter.

Results I am getting, with the device sitting at an angle:

$ normal mode CTRL_REG4 = 00h

FD 19 3B                                    

FE 19 3A                                    

FF 19 3A                                    

FE 18 3A                                    

FE 18 3B                                    

!                     self test mode  CTRL_REG4 = 04h                

E1 FD 51                                    

E1 FB 50                                    

E2 FD 4F                                    

E2 FC 51                                    

E2 FC 50                                    

E3 FD 50                                    

FE 19 39                                    

FE 18 3A                                    

FE 19 3A

Thanks again,

Rob

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Rob @RKeit.1​ ,

I suggest you to check also the C code implementing the self-test procedure for the LIS2DE12 that you can find on Github at this link --> lis2de12_self_test.c

This procedure is a little long, so it might be useful to have a double check on that code, besides the procedure described in the AN3308 p.57 (which is for the LIS3DH )

Please let me know if the code is useful for your purposes.

-Eleon

RKeit.1
Associate III

Hello Eleon,

Thank you for your answer. That gives me some clues. One thing I am still unsure of is the magnitude of the variations in readings during self test. Is it like a few LSBs or bigger? Does it occur on all axes? I know the answers are probably in the documentation but I have winter brain fog.

I see the term mg used. Is that milli-gravity? If so then it could be too small for the readings to be noticeable with only 8 bits or buried in the noise from my wobbly desk. I am working with an 8 bit MCU to develop the test process so I am just looking at the raw X, Y and Z bytes.

Also, does the device stay in self-test mode indefinitely, until CTRL_REG4 is re-written?

Rob

RKeit.1
Associate III

Hello again Eleon,

I have found the problem and now getting good consistent results in self test mode. I had forgotten to set the write bit used by the state engine that controls the SMBUS in the MCU I am using. I still can't get it to work with the Arduino but that doesn't matter.

Results I am getting, with the device sitting at an angle:

FD 19 3B                                    

FE 19 3A                                    

FF 19 3A                                    

FE 18 3A                                    

FE 18 3B                                    

!                     self test mode  CTRL_REG4 = 04h                

E1 FD 51                                    

E1 FB 50                                    

E2 FD 4F                                    

E2 FC 51                                    

E2 FC 50                                    

E3 FD 50                                    

FE 19 39                                    

FE 18 3A                                    

FE 19 3A

Thanks again,

Rob

Very good @RKeit.1​ !

Remember also to use the LSB-to-milli "g" (meaning 1 gravity acceleration 9.81m/s^2 divided by 1000) conversion formulas. This is the standard magnitude for computing the acceleration with an accelerometer. The formula in the FS = 2g case is (source: lis2de12_reg.c)

float_t lis2de12_from_fs2_to_mg(int16_t lsb)
{
  return ( (float_t)lsb / 256.0f ) * 15.6f;
}

-Eleon

RKeit.1
Associate III

I do all that on the cloud. I am working with a very basic MCU and do everything in raw bytes.

Also. Not in the documentation: There are two test modes. Mode 1, CTRL_REG4 = 04, moves the readings one way and Mode 2, CTRL_REG4 - 02, moves them the same amount in the opposite direction. Average the readings from both modes. If the answer is the regular reading (within two LSBs) then all is OK.

Now I am having fun (not) trying to reliably generate interrupts at 10 Hz ODR.

Rob

Hi Rob @RKeit.1​ ,

I'll go on your other post for this topic.

-Eleon