cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the LPS22HB datasheet , there is a statement " The package is holed to allow external pressure to reach the sensing element." Is there a hole somewhere in the part package that should not be covered up, and should be kept clear of obstructions?

TSemk.1
Associate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
S.Ma
Principal

Usually if the hole is not done on the plastic package, it is very small on the silicon exposed cap area of the package. Pressure doesn't need a "big" hole. Humidity sensors do as humidity is like a cloud, needs movement... a fan ideally.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
OSell.1
Associate II

This is a good question. I went to google and looked at the images of some of these sensors. I didn't see any crazy obvious holes in the package. But based on what is typical for these types of pressure sensors and what I saw. I believe it is likely on the top where the window is.

S.Ma
Principal

Usually if the hole is not done on the plastic package, it is very small on the silicon exposed cap area of the package. Pressure doesn't need a "big" hole. Humidity sensors do as humidity is like a cloud, needs movement... a fan ideally.

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi,

@S.Ma​  is right, you can have a look to this picture

0693W00000YAiAzQAL.png-Eleon

TSemk.1
Associate

Thanks for the information. These are extremely small diameter holes barely seen under my microscope. So I assume the MEMs diaphragm is somewhere in the cavity below the "silver foil" cover with the 6 holes? ( I originally maybe wrongly assumed that the silver foil was not holed and was the diaphragm that flexed with changes in the atmosphere pressure).

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TSemk.1​ ,

correct (the silver foil is actually a silicon cap)

-Eleon