cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS3DWB: how to detect over range

Palmering
Associate II

Hi,

I'm using the IIS3DWB accelerometer to get triaxial waveform.

I just want to know what is the best approach to detect over range.
I tried to compare sample by sample in each channel with the maximum possible positive value (>32766) and the maximum negative value (<-32767) but I didn't get overflow detection when the peak acceleration > range.
When I set the limits to +/-16384 (half) my detection routine works (with an instantaneous acceleration value > range/2).

What is the measured acceleration value when the acceleration is over the full-scale range?
Does the accelerometer limit the the value to the maximum?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Palmering ,

You can't detect over range, the maximum value you can read is the full-scale value.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @Palmering ,

You can't detect over range, the maximum value you can read is the full-scale value.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Federica,

Thank you for your answer.

I think that comparing sample by sample, when at least a few of them reach the full-scale value (+ or -) of the range we can say there is an over range.

Based in your comment, I assume the IIS3DWB limits to the ful-scale value (0x7FFF/0x8000) if over range.
However, I couldn't see samples >=0x7FFB/<=0x8005. in the 16g range when a >16g shock.is applied.

Best regards