cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Nuclieo L476RG and a X-NUCLEO-IKSO1A2 and a STEVAL-MKI159V1 with a LSM9DS1 MEMS on it. I would like to connect UNICO to this.

Rstua.1
Senior

Hi,

I have been trying to connect UNICO PC software to a ​Nuclieo L476RG and a X-NUCLEO-IKSO1A2 and a STEVAL-MKI159V1 with a LSM9DS1 MEMS on it.  But so far this has not worked.  I see in ST.COM videos they are using a completely different processor board called STEVAL-MKL109V2. 

My question, is it possible to use what I have so that I can graphically see the accelerometer, gyroscope & magnetometer of the LSM9DS1 using the GUI in UNICO?

Or do I have to get yet more HW (this STEVAL-MKI109V2) to do this?

-thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Rstua.1​ , please note that there is the following correspondence between the SW and the HW ST evaluation tools for MEMS and sensors:

• GUI name: UNICO --- Hardware platform: STEVAL-MKI109V2 or STEVAL-MKI109V3 + adapter STEVAL (e.g. the MKI159V1) -> the main purpose of this tool is test the sensor parameters with good accuracy, but also tests of the embedded features are available (pedometer, finite state machine, machine learning core, etc...)
  • GUI name: UNICLEO --- Hardware platform: STM32 Nucleo boards + X-NUCLEO-IKS01A2 or X-NUCLEO-IKS01A3 + appropriate adapter STEVAL -> this tool is more focused on the embedded feature tests and on code development in an evaluation environment.

If you are using the X-NUCLEO-IKSO1A2 you have to interface it with the UNICLEO GUI.

Regards

Rstua.1
Senior

Thank you @Eleon BORLINI​ . I did not know about UNICO verses UNICLEO. It appears UNICLEO is what I want to use.

My next difficulty: Our product contains a LSM9DS. I have one on a STEVAL-MKI159V1 board. However, I can not find instructions to switch from the IKS01SA2 sensors to the LSM9DS1 sensor on the STEVAL-MKI159V1 board.

-thanks.

Hi @Rstua.1​ , unfortunately the Unicleo-GUI package doesn't support the LSM9DS1 sensor :( Here below the screenshot of the supported sensors, from the tutorial video:

0690X00000Bw0hyQAB.pngThis because the LSM9DS1 sensor has two different interfaces (acc+gyro and mag), and the IKS tool can manage only one at HW level. You can of course start from scratch, "bypassing" the Unicleo-GUI and directly wiring the adapter to the Nucleo board... If you want a ready-to-go interface, it's better to switch to the Unico-GUI...

Regards

Rstua.1
Senior

Thank you @Eleon BORLINI​ for your answer. I started looking at the STM32L4xx-Nucleo-ECompass demonstration code with the intention of re-coding it for the LSM9DS1. In almost every case, a structure of an array of type uint8_t is used to pass hundreds of bytes of data between functions. Is there an explanation of what each byte means? Right now I only know what some of the bytes might be used for by examining what the example source code (only the source code as the Middle Ware code is only giving out as an ST.COM library) is doing to the bytes in this array.

-thanks

Rstua.1
Senior

Just a follow up. The above mentioned structure is used at the end of the Cube-MEMS program to send the data to the STMicro's PC based UNICLEO GUI. It may be used internally to pass data between the different methods. But its ultimate purpose is to supply data to the PC for graphical presentation.