cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can several MEMS accelerometers be connected (in serie?) in order to reduce self noise

pedme
Associate II

Hello all

I am new at this forum and have almost zero knowledge in electronics but look at acceleration data on a daily basis (in the geophysics field).

My experience is that MEMS accelero are quite noisy, especially at "low" frequencies (<~1 Hz).

Just wondering if multiple MEMS can be connected together in order for the individual signals to be summed giving a sqrt(N) pure random noise attenuation.

I am thinking here about a hardware solution (e.g. N analog output sensors connected in serie, but is that that simple?), not a stack after individual sensor data digitalisation (something I could not afford for a number of reasons)

Your comments and advices will be much appreciated!

Regards

Pascal

12 REPLIES 12
pedme
Associate II

Hello

thanks for the feedback - I agree it may be challenging for me alone but the idea is to figure out how complex this could be in order to discuss it with a more competent person who could help.

Coming back to the initial idea of summing the analog outputs, I found the following circuit schematic to stack multiple MEMS microphones:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-1328.pdf

Could you explain why MEMS accelerometers (analog and single ended - I guess) could not be used instead of those MEMS microphones?

Best regards

Pascal

Miroslav BATEK
ST Employee

The analog sensor can be connected as indicated on the schematics in the application note.

The sensors are not connected in series they are connected to summing operational amplifier.

pedme
Associate II

any kind of analog MEMS acc?

Is there a limited number of MEMS that can be stacked with a single op-amp?