cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibration of LIS2DW12

Msaga.1
Associate II

Hello,

I can not find any information on calibration of the acetometer in the LIS2DW12.

Is it something we can do ourselves, is it done automatically etc.

Would like a reference or explanation.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Msaga.1​ ,

the accelerometer is calibrated at production level, and the calibration values are stored in the reserved registers, and it is better to not modify them.

However, it could happen that after the soldering process or handling actions, the accelerometer might be slightly out of calibration, and in this case you can:

• measure the offset on the 3 axis in a steady position, and write the obtained values in the X_OFS_USR (3Ch), Y_OFS_USR (3Dh) and Z_OFS_USR (3Eh) registers (datasheet, p.55);
  • and / or use a calibration library, for example from the X-CUBE-MEMS1 package, such as the MotionAC library: it provides real-time accelerometer calibration through offset and scale factor coefficients used to correct accelerometer data. .

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Msaga.1​ ,

the accelerometer is calibrated at production level, and the calibration values are stored in the reserved registers, and it is better to not modify them.

However, it could happen that after the soldering process or handling actions, the accelerometer might be slightly out of calibration, and in this case you can:

• measure the offset on the 3 axis in a steady position, and write the obtained values in the X_OFS_USR (3Ch), Y_OFS_USR (3Dh) and Z_OFS_USR (3Eh) registers (datasheet, p.55);
  • and / or use a calibration library, for example from the X-CUBE-MEMS1 package, such as the MotionAC library: it provides real-time accelerometer calibration through offset and scale factor coefficients used to correct accelerometer data. .

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon

Msaga.1
Associate II

Hi Eleon,

Thank you for your answer. Regarding your suggestion to measure the offset on the 3 axis in a steady position, and write the obtained values in the X_OFS_USR (3Ch), Y_OFS_USR (3Dh) and Z_OFS_USR (3Eh) registers. I saw that the values on the axis at rest are not 0, but there is a slight deviation. What can I do so the values will be 0(except at Z of course that should be close to g value)

Thank you

Hi @Msaga.1​ ,

you can characterized accurately these value and then put them in the register (volatile memory): when you'll run the acquisition, you'll get the already compensated values in the output registers.

You can do the same for the Z axis, but you have to subtract the 1g nominal value.

-Eleon

Msaga.1
Associate II

Thank you very much