cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update/Flash firmware of BCN002V1D, (i.e. Blue Tile BCN002V1B host board)

QuackerShoe
Associate II

I have a BlueNRG-Tile Eval Kit (STEVAL-BCN002V1B) and use the host board (BCN002V1D) for flashing my devices with a similar interface as the actual sensor tile. Now, the host board (BCN002V1D) has stopped working and starts in STM32 DFU bootloader mode if at all.

I found that the firmware for the host board might be provided as STM32L1_FW_BCN002V1D.hex in STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0\Firmware\USB_to_SERIAL\. Is this the correct firmware for the host board to use? If not, could you provide the binary?

Next, how do I flash the host board? How to get it into DFU mode (I suspect I erased the entire chip when trying to flash the firmware using STM32CubeProgrammer). Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Winfred LU
ST Employee

Yes, STM32L1_FW_BCN002V1D.hex , the file located at that folder, is the correct firmware.

To program the STM32 on the host board, you can choose whatever is convenient - STM32CubeProgrammer, ST-Link Utility, or DfuSe Demo shall all work.

QuackerShoe
Associate II

Thanks. And how do I get the Hostboard into DfU mode? I tried by desoldering pin44 (boot0) and pull to vcc and PB2 to gnd. Didnt help.

Please try to pull boot0 pin to GND instead.

By default on BCN002V1D, the boot0 pin is connected to GND directly, this will always make the STM32L1 boot into Main Flash memory. It shall never enter DFU normally.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/schematic_pack/steval-bcn002v1b_schematics.zip

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00273528-getting-started-with-stm32l1xxx-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Yes. But I need to re-flash the BCN00V1D presumably I can only do this if I get it intu DFU mode?

Please note that in most of the cases, there is no need to flash STM32 on the host board (BCN002V1D). It serves as an USB to UART converter to the BlueNRG-2 on the sensor board (BCN002V1).

The device to be flashed would be BlueNRG-2. Check the SW DK package, and the sample projects are for BlueNRG-2.

When the STM32 needs to be programmed, surely you may choose to flash it with DFU mode -

Force the MCU entering DFU mode, flash it, then reset the MCU back to normal mode.

I am aware 🙂

problem is the following: i had the host board connected without the slave/tile. Apparently the host was in DFU mode (dont know why) and I flashed some illegal firmware to the host board (which should only do usb to uart as you state). So now the host board has illegal firmware and I would like to undo the process….

QuackerShoe
Associate II

Hello

Any mor input on this? I have a second board where exactly the same thing happened. The STM32 on the host board (BCN002V1D) suddenly does not start the "usb to uart application" but rather only the "STM32 DFU". I then tried to write the STM32L1_FW_BCN002V1D.hex (from address 0x0800 0000) and after a power cycle the board does not do anything anymore. Now I have two BlueTile-host boards (BCN002V1D) not working anymore preventing me from continueing on my actual work. How do I get them back?

I keep assuming I need to re-flash the host boards and for this need to get it into DFU mode...