cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STPM33/34 RMS Current Calculation Error

bsahan
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I met a problem when I measured the current rms value with stpm33 ic.I'm using this IC with resistive loads and other load profiles with low crest factor. But I met a case with a high crest factor load like as SMPS type loads. 

I collected the momentary current datas from STPM33eval board over SPI lines. And than calculate the RMS current value using with point by point datas. The calculated value asme as real value. I compared the calculated value with true RMS values that are measured with other power analyzers as called as Vitrek PA900 and Schneider PA module.

I compared the current values with resistive and refrigerature type loads. They are same for all measurement device.

Is it possible to make any mistake when I config the STPM?

You can find my measured values and voltage-current graph at below.

Blue: Actual Voltage Orange: Actual CurrentBlue: Actual Voltage Orange: Actual Current

Load STPM33 Current RMS(mA) STPM33 Current Calculated RMS(mA) Vitrek PA900 RMS(mA) Scheneider PM2200 RMS(mA)
High Crest Factor SMPS Load 119,9 199 198 198
Low Crest Factor Load (Resistive Load) 1033 1033 1033 1033

9 REPLIES 9
MasterT
Lead

I see circuits has LPF on both current inputs, likely the problem. You can try to de-solder cap's C25 / C33.

Evalstmp33.png

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@bsahan wrote:

LoadSTPM33 Current RMS(mA)STPM33 Current Calculated RMS(mA)Vitrek PA900 RMS(mA)Scheneider PM2200 RMS(mA)
High Crest Factor SMPS Load119,9199198198
Low Crest Factor Load (Resistive Load)1033103310331033

So you are just one or two LSBs out in a couple of hundred - so no more that 1% error ?

That doesn't sound bad to me - what were you expecting ?

Thank you for your response. I have tried your suggestion before. I am afraid the problem is not hardware-related. Because I understand it from the actual values I collected using the same eval board. I think there is a structure where I can configure the method used by the STPM for RMS calculation or another register-level change. Otherwise, it would be strange if I were the only one encountering this problem.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. It seems that the focus is on the calculated value for the error ratio. However, I don't need the momentary value; I used it only for detecting the error in the RMS readout.

Let's focus on the table again, specifically the first and second columns for comparing the two RMS values. The first column and first row define the STPM33 RMS value read from the RMS register. The second column and first row define the calculated value from momentary points. There is a significant difference of about 40%.

Best regards

@bsahan wrote:

Let's focus on the table again

OK - I'll colour it:

The first column and first row define the STPM33 RMS value read from the RMS register.
The second column and first row define the calculated value from momentary

That's these 2 cells:

AndrewNeil_0-1722609216221.png

They only differ by 0.9 in 199 - that's under 0.5%

Hi again Andrew,

I am having some difficulty understanding your calculation, specifically regarding how you arrived at the 0.5% figure. If you could kindly explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it. It is possible that there may be a formatting error related to the use of commas (,) and points (.) in the local text.

This is my calculation:

Measured value is 119.9 mA

Calculated Value is 199.0 mA 

Error = 199.0 - 119.9 = 79.1 mA 

79,1 mA / 199.0 mA = 0.397 = % 39.7

D'oh!

I was reading 119.9 as 199.9 !!

😂

New glasses needed!

😎

Its really no problem. Sometimes it can be possible.

👍

bsahan
Associate II

This topic is still current and I’m still awaiting your support.