cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it required to program STM32L1 for using BlueNRG-1/2 in network coprocessor mode ?

MH1
Associate II

Hello,

I would like to design my own PCB for a Bluetooth Mesh project. Currently I am using STEVAL-IDB007V1 and STEVAL-IDB008V2 boards by configuring and provisioning them as mesh nodes through smartphone. I want to know whether it is required to program the STM32L151CBU6 microcontroller in order to use BlueNRG-1/2 in network coprocessor mode ?

In the documentation, it is mentioned that "In order to configure the BlueNRG-2 device as a network coprocessor, the device must be programmed with a specific application, named DTM (direct test mode). " Moreover , it is also mentioned that

"The STM32L microcontroller on the board is not intended to be programmed by users. ST provides a preprogrammed firmware image for the sole purpose of interfacing BlueNRG-1, BlueNRG-2 to a USB host device (e.g., a PC)."

So, I want to ask if I want to design my own PCB for BlueNRG-1/2, then is it required to program firstly the STM32L microcontroller with the DTM source code provided in SDK ? Kindly let me know the necessary steps.

12 REPLIES 12
alok
Senior

Actually on the board, there is 0 ohm connected on L5

MH1
Associate II

Hi @alok​ ,

Thank you for reply. I asked another question on this thread which is still unanswered so I am posting it again.

I tested the SWD connection to program BlueNRG-1,2 using ST Link/v2 and it worked. I want to further confirm that for programming mesh firmware on BlueNRG-1,2, is there no need of sheet 2 in this schematic and can I implement mesh firmware by using only sheet 1 and 3 of this schematic ?

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/layouts_and_diagrams/schematic_pack/group0/7c/37/69/17/1f/c8/42/e8/STEVAL-IDB007V2_schematics/files/STEVAL_IDB007V2_schematic.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.STEVAL_IDB007V2_schematic.pdf

alok
Senior

Yes, you need just to program the BlueNRG-2. The STM32 on the eval board is just helping to make USB-UART bridge and to help program the BlueNRG-2 by drag and drop

When designing your dedicated PCB, you will not these circuit.

You can also refer to the schematics of STEVAL-BCN002V1B  , where these circuit are not there. Thanks