cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Full HD via USB High Speed

Fiord
Associate

Hello.
I want to get video data from USB High Speed and send to DSI interface. Video Resolution is 1920x1080, 30 fps, colors depth 8 bits. Is it possible to make this decision? If yes, what MCU you recommend me?  

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @Fiord, to the community!

Are you talking about 8-bit colour depth per colour channel (RGB)?

Well, in this case, you intend to transfer 1920*1080 = 2MPixel per image, which at 24bit for the colours results in an image size of just under 50Mbit. At 30fps, this results in 1.5Gbit/s to be transmitted - not including the overhead. But even this net data rate cannot be transferred with USB High Speed aka USB 2.0, which only theoretically has 480Mbit.

So you would have to use USB-C or any other high speed bus ≥2Gbps to get the data to the CPU that quickly. Processing in the core and forwarding to the DSI is then the next hurdle.

With a Cortex-M based STM32 you won't get any further and would have to rely on the Cortex-A based MPUs, e.g. STM32MP25x, which will be available soon.

Does it answer your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dear Peter,
Yes, I mean talking about 8-bit colour depth per colour channel (RGB).
Thank you very much for the answer.

No, I don't have more questions. Thank you!