cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware upgrade over the air.

Vmere.1
Senior

Hello community,

I got a project to do as my Master Thesis on Firmware upgrade over the air.

I know how to write linker script, bootloader check free space and configure every peripheral etc. 

What attributes one look for when working with firmware upgrade over the air.

This is the first IOT project and I have never worked with bluetooth or any wireless connection (like BLE Wifi, Lorawan etc). So I want your guidance and suggestions on how to build one.

I know this is very generalized question, but I want to know how an embedded engineer think and what questions should I ask when building a system to accomplish the objective.

For example (security, speed, etc) any inputs will be helping me.

I find how to do one the internet but I don't know if any of it is serves real time large scale production.

You can share your experience with me here..

Thanks in advance. ��

Regards

VB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bubbles
ST Employee

Hi @Vmere.1​ ,

you can divide the problem to two parts. First would be the communication, where you can download a file for the intended upgrade. Depending on the selected demo board and wireless network, there are different examples.

Second part is the upgrade, executed with the downloaded image. There are also several options and examples, most notable the SBSFU, also the one described in AN4767 and some IAP examples. Each represents different strategy with own advantages and limitations.

BE,

J

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bubbles
ST Employee

Hi @Vmere.1​ ,

you can divide the problem to two parts. First would be the communication, where you can download a file for the intended upgrade. Depending on the selected demo board and wireless network, there are different examples.

Second part is the upgrade, executed with the downloaded image. There are also several options and examples, most notable the SBSFU, also the one described in AN4767 and some IAP examples. Each represents different strategy with own advantages and limitations.

BE,

J

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Vmere.1
Senior

SBSFU, this is new to me. this is a very big thing, I should look at the security techniques, and may be implement in my project.