cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG-LP Connectionless Observer

DLoza.2
Associate III

Hi,

I'm trying to program a Connectionless Observer that scans all ADV_NONCONN_IND adv events, but the hci_le_advertising_report_event() callback isn't called. I'm using  BLE_STACK_FULL_CONF and I have this configuration:

// Init GAP

aci_gap_init(GAP_OBSERVER_ROLE, 0x00, 0x08, PUBLIC_ADDR, &service_handle, &dev_name_char_handle, &appearance_char_handle);

// SCAN CONFIG

status = aci_gap_set_scan_configuration ( DUPLICATE_FILTER_DISABLED,  

ADV_NO_WHITE_LIST_USE,

LE_1M_PHY_BIT,

PASSIVE_SCAN,

0x4000,

0x4000

);

// EVENT MASK

uint8_t eventMask[8] = {0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x02};

status = hci_le_set_event_mask(eventMask);

// SCAN ENABLE

status = hci_le_set_scan_enable(1,0);

I don't get any state error. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi!,

The solution is: use aci_gap_start_procedure() instead of hci_le_set_scan_enable(). Event mask isn't necessary because the event is enabled by default.

Regards!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WLech.1
Associate II

I face exactly the same problem!

A scanning of BLE beacons is generally possible. All PDU-types generate an event, but beacons of type ADV_NONCONN_IND (Non connectable undirected advertising) dont!

BLE beacons of PDU-types ADV_IND, ADV_SCAN_IND, SCAN_RSP do generate an event and can be received!

I have tried all possible settings in aci_gap_set_scan_configuration(), but NEVER received beacons of type ADV_NONCONN_IND .

I wonder, if the problem is in the BLE stack (or correct initialization of this stack). I have even tried the new BlueNRG-BLE Stack Library v3.1a (included in STSW-BNRGLP-DK v1.2.0 released in April 2022. Unfortunately still the same behavior!

Passive scanning of ADV_NONCONN_IND beacons is even used in the application note AN5508 from ST (SocialDistancing Detection using Bluetooth® Low Energy). So there must be a way to successfully scan those BLE-beacons!

Please support us in this issue or maybe there is a source code to this application note AN5508 available.

best regards and thanks for any support!

DLoza.2
Associate III

Hi @WLech.1​, thanks you for the reply.

I haven't got it yet. I hadn't read the application note AN5508, I will research about it. If I

get something I will tell you.

Thanks you and regards!

Hi!,

The solution is: use aci_gap_start_procedure() instead of hci_le_set_scan_enable(). Event mask isn't necessary because the event is enabled by default.

Regards!

WLech.1
Associate II

wow

You solved my Problem!

Actually, I was calling aci_gap_start_procedure(), but with the wrong parameter...

aci_gap_start_procedure(GAP_GENERAL_CONNECTION_ESTABLISHMENT_PROC, LE_1M_PHY_BIT, 0, 0);

now:

aci_gap_start_procedure(GAP_GENERAL_DISCOVERY_PROC, LE_1M_PHY_BIT, 0 ,0);

now I receive all ADV_NONCONN_IND beacons reliably 😀

Thanks a lot!!

You deserve 5 beer for free😎

Thanks hahaha!

I'm using GAP_OBSERVATION_PROC instead of GAP_GENERAL_DISCOVERY_PROC. If you aren't waiting an inqury, I think you should do the same.

Luck!