cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHICH MODULE IS BEST TO MEASURE ACCURATE DISTANCE FROM Distance Sensor Modules Time-of-Flight (ToF) ranging sensor. I AM USING VL53L0X MODULE BUT I AM GETTING ERROR OF 3-5 MM ERROR. I WANT MAXIMUM ERROR OF 1 MM. PLEASE GUIDE

skuma.61
Associate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

1mm accuracy is the holy grail of ToF sensors. We just are not there yet. At year-end we will be releaseing a sensor which is the same physically as the VL53L0X, but has better accuracy. I don't think even that will be +/- 1mm. But be on the look-out for the VL53L4 and give it a try.

currently the VL53L1X is the best we have.

Accuracy comes from consistency. If you are looking for the best accuracy choose the target to give a good signal return without being too bright. Too much signal is not as bad as too much, but being in the middle (20MCPS) is best if you can do it.

Cover the entire field of View. This is harder than it seems as the illumination spot gets wider with distance.

Choose a long timing budget. 4X timing budget = 2X accuracy. But there are limits.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

1mm accuracy is the holy grail of ToF sensors. We just are not there yet. At year-end we will be releaseing a sensor which is the same physically as the VL53L0X, but has better accuracy. I don't think even that will be +/- 1mm. But be on the look-out for the VL53L4 and give it a try.

currently the VL53L1X is the best we have.

Accuracy comes from consistency. If you are looking for the best accuracy choose the target to give a good signal return without being too bright. Too much signal is not as bad as too much, but being in the middle (20MCPS) is best if you can do it.

Cover the entire field of View. This is harder than it seems as the illumination spot gets wider with distance.

Choose a long timing budget. 4X timing budget = 2X accuracy. But there are limits.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'