cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do the photons go?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Customer asks me how I evaluate where the photons go.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
3 REPLIES 3
John E KVAM
ST Employee

It's easy. There is a web-site.

Ray tracing simulator: https://ricktu288.github.io/ray-optics/simulator/

I have no idea who runs the site, nor do I know how accurate it is.

But the guy who wrote it did a bang-up job. It helps a lot.

But it really can answer what happens to the light as it travels through the coverglass or hits an object.

Rules are simple and with a little practice you can figure it out.

In this picure you can see an 18 degree point source hitting a nearly flat lens at an angle and then reflecting.

Try it - you wiil be impressed.0693W00000Y9kwKQAR.png

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

amazing...

Indeed an impressive open-source tool (licensed under the Apache License 2.0), but changed to a new location.

The authors and contributors are named on the About website, source code is available on GitHub.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.