cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL6180X Intensity of emitted IR light

BWilk.2
Associate II

Intensity of visible light is measured in lux, but by definition this cannot be used for IR light, which is not on the visible spectrum. What is the intensity of the IR emitter on the VL6180X and what would the units be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, if you operate Class 1 devices under the specified conditions mentioned in the data sheet, the ToF sensor is guaranteed to be eye-safe, see e.g. also the description of Class 1 in Wikipedia.

Please take special note that no additional optics may be used to stay within the Class 1 limits.

Regards,

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @BWilk.2​, to the community!

The emission power of lasers is given in watts. Lasers are divided into laser safety classes and its data sheet gives some important statements in section 8:

The laser output is designed to remain within Class 1 laser safety limits under all reasonably foreseeable conditions including single faults in compliance with IEC 60825-1:2007.

The laser output will remain within Class 1 limits as long as the STMicroelectronics recommended device settings are used and the operating conditions specified in this datasheet are respected.

The laser output power must not be increased by any means and no optics should be used with the intention of focusing the laser beam.

Class 1 components have a radiated power of less than 1mW.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I was looking for more of a precise number. I am using this to measure the distance between a human eye and the sensor, and as such the power characteristics of the emitter are very important to ensure no damage is done. I am aware that directing the emitter at the eye is dangerous, which is why I am looking for the output to determine if it can be used for my needs.

Well, if you operate Class 1 devices under the specified conditions mentioned in the data sheet, the ToF sensor is guaranteed to be eye-safe, see e.g. also the description of Class 1 in Wikipedia.

Please take special note that no additional optics may be used to stay within the Class 1 limits.

Regards,

/Peter

Thank you Peter, I will think on this for a bit and come back if I have any other questions!

Great!

There is always someone here trying to help you. Good luck!

Regards

/Peter