cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L3CX: estimating target distance from histogram

v++
Associate II

I have attached a couple of histograms from same object and from different distances. Distances are embedded in filename visible in image (top bar). Problem is peak position doesn’t change. I understand depth data is spread across three bins only. But how possibly does the peaks only happen at one position.

NB: the extra peaks on the far right for some of the histograms I presume to be as result of reflection.

can anyone help clarify how to see objects distances let’s say in meters (as max distance is 4m) ?

also if this is not possible I’d like some clarification about why.

v++

3 REPLIES 3
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

Hello,

histograms are internal data used by our patented algorithms inside our driver to compute ranging values. ST will not disclose the patented algorithms

Anne

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'
v++
Associate II

Hi, I suggest you please read post again. There is NO request to disclose ST patented algorithms. It’s an open question and you’re allowed to pass if you don’t know the answer

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Each group of 3 in those histograms is a target. In the images with two peaks, you have 2 targets.

In that first image, I'm thinking you are seeing something like your hand, and then the ceiling behind the hand.

You get the results from the sensor along with the histogam. I suggest you compare those results with your histogram data.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'