cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X for custom use

vishnusf
Associate III

Hi

I want to use VL53L1x board sensor for custom application. I wanted to use an external laser source of 940nm and block the onboard laser source. Are there any precautions to be taken for such case?

I also wanted to know is it possible to access the raw data such as photon counts/ intensity, could u please show an example?

Is it possible to interface this sensor with custom controller boards such as FPGA? 

3 REPLIES 3
lukaskn
Associate II

Hi Vishnusf,

so, you want to implement a distance measurement with an external laser source?

You can access the signal rate as well as other information. Check the vl53l1x api.

I only use the vl53l1x with MCUs only, but if you have a working i²c master implemenation on your fpga, it should work as well,.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

That’s going to be really difficult. The issue is that the sensor 2usec pulses and there are a lot of them. Maybe a million per 30ms range. And to prevent EMI issues we dither the clock.  And the dither is what is going to get you. I’d say you can’t do it, but I’ve learned never to underestimate people. 

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Hi John ,

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying its going to be difficult to use a continuous wave laser with this sensor? Does ST have any miniaturized SPAD sensor that can be used for custom applications?