cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of VL53L1X for an Electronic Target System

PSilv.3
Associate

Hi all,

I'm planning on building my own electronic target for pistol shooting - 4.5mm pellets (4.5mmx5mm approx) traveling at 500-600 fps.

I've read the documentation on the L0X and L1X but I'm struggling to figure out if these sensors can fit the bill. By my calculations, the pellet will be in detection range for ~30us. Are the sensors capable of detecting such thing ? Is there a "range mode" where a measurement between X and Y is seen as something true ? The 30ms timing budget suggests that multiple measurement are taken, so, seems unlikely to me that a 30us exposure would be seen as a valid measurement.

Also, as the FOV is 25°, multiple sensors would have to be mounted around the target to provide at least 3 measurements in all possible locations. Can the sensors cope with cross talk from other sensors ? I haven't seen any data on that, neither suggesting maximum crossover angles between facing sensors, facing or not.

Thank you, hope you guys can help !

Pedro​

2 REPLIES 2
Tom Schrauf
Associate II

"Are the sensors capable of detecting such thing ?"

No !

Hi Tom, thanks for getting back to me. Is there any other option you know that could work properly ? The old commercial targets use sound, the new ones use laser.

Feel free to suggest other models/brands that you feel would work.

Thanks​