cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding VL53L5CX Range statuses

VBhat.1
Associate III

If I point my VL53L5CX unit at the ceiling which I have measured to be 2.13m above my device, I get some readings that are status 5 of around 2100 mm and some readings that are status 255 of around 2100mm. Why is this the case? Because 2.1m is within the 4m rated distance (I have no coverglass as well), shouldn't every zone of my sensor be getting a proper reading?

And also what does it mean for the reading to be status 255 but the distance is correct? Can I trust these status 255 numbers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Status 255 means you didn't get enough photons to get a good signal above the ambient background noise.

All the other numbers (except Ambient) for this collect are invalid. (They are left over from the prior collect.)

We claim you can get up to 3+ meters, but we claim that in ideal conditions.

I'm going to guess that you have;

• some sunlight causing a high ambient
  • or perhaps an incandesent light source generating ambient light
  • or particularly dull (non-refective) ceiling

I get a pretty good distance on a wood panel slanted ceiling - but with the sun streaming in the room through large windows, I cannot range that far.

Try it with the lights off and no sunlight coming into the room.

That will give you the max for that ceiling.

Then you have to account for real-life conditions.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Status 255 means you didn't get enough photons to get a good signal above the ambient background noise.

All the other numbers (except Ambient) for this collect are invalid. (They are left over from the prior collect.)

We claim you can get up to 3+ meters, but we claim that in ideal conditions.

I'm going to guess that you have;

• some sunlight causing a high ambient
  • or perhaps an incandesent light source generating ambient light
  • or particularly dull (non-refective) ceiling

I get a pretty good distance on a wood panel slanted ceiling - but with the sun streaming in the room through large windows, I cannot range that far.

Try it with the lights off and no sunlight coming into the room.

That will give you the max for that ceiling.

Then you have to account for real-life conditions.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.