cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this VL53L1CX model be used for liquid level monitoring? (I understand VL53L5CX detects liquid level)

PTHAL.1
Associate

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

After doing a bunch of testing, it appears all the ToF sensors can be used to measure liquid.

the VL53L5 (L5) is slightly better at it due to the number of zones.

Only the photons that hit the water at very near 90 degrees reflect and do what you want. The rest penetrate the water, are slowed down by it, reflet off the bottom and basically make a mess.

The small zones of the L5 allow you to find a zone that returns more photons than the other zones and you can use only this zone informaiton.

If you have an L1 you can sort of do the same thing by narrowing down the Region of Interest and only paying attention to the photons that hit perpendicular to the water.

But you still have some work to do. Some photons will penitrate and if the water is shallow, the reflected photons will give you a bad reading.

In my work, I create a black bottom. I either paint it, annodize it, or make a clear container placed on a black shelf. This reduces the number of photons reflecting off the bottom.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
Anne BIGOT
ST Employee

ST just published a FAQ about liquid level monitoring.

You can find it here.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'