cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Range TOF

E_K
Associate

Hello, I want to ask about the maximum range of VL53L1CB, as it says in the table (as seen in attached photo) that it's up to 8m. However, in data sheet or specification just says over 400cm.
1) So is the performance should be good at 8m range outdoors? 
2) What does it mean 8x8, what kind of data will I receive? 

Thanks.Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 10.26.20.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

you are kind of mixing up your sensors. But I shall do my best to explain. 

The VL53L1CB and in some special circomstances range to 8M - but it basically only works if you have a reflective projector screen. You can probably get to 6M with a large white wall, and you can spot people to about 2.5M. 

It all has to do with how much light your target reflects - and how much ambient light there is.

Ambient is the amount of 940nm light that is not from our sensor. It's from the sun. And the sun has a ton of it.

The VL53L1CB might only get to 50cm in a bright California day, but it depends a lot on the angle of light. 

The sensor works fine in the shade, for instance. So I all I can say is your results will be variable based on clouds, sun angle and target refectivity. 

There are a class of ToF sensors called multi-zone. Insead of getting just one number as a distance you get an array 64 ranges in an 8x8 array. These sensors are more expensive, and use more power, but you can do a lot with them. Work better in the sun as well. The VL53L8CX is our latest, and best example of this. 

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

you are kind of mixing up your sensors. But I shall do my best to explain. 

The VL53L1CB and in some special circomstances range to 8M - but it basically only works if you have a reflective projector screen. You can probably get to 6M with a large white wall, and you can spot people to about 2.5M. 

It all has to do with how much light your target reflects - and how much ambient light there is.

Ambient is the amount of 940nm light that is not from our sensor. It's from the sun. And the sun has a ton of it.

The VL53L1CB might only get to 50cm in a bright California day, but it depends a lot on the angle of light. 

The sensor works fine in the shade, for instance. So I all I can say is your results will be variable based on clouds, sun angle and target refectivity. 

There are a class of ToF sensors called multi-zone. Insead of getting just one number as a distance you get an array 64 ranges in an 8x8 array. These sensors are more expensive, and use more power, but you can do a lot with them. Work better in the sun as well. The VL53L8CX is our latest, and best example of this. 

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.