cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Regarding VL5315CX LiDAR Sensor Performance with Coverglass

Rewq218813682
Associate

I am presently in the process of evaluating the VL5315CX LiDAR sensor without a coverglass. However, I anticipate the need to incorporate a coverglass soon due to the dusty environment in which it will be deployed. My inquiry pertains to the sensor's performance when using the coverglass. Specifically, I would like to know if the VL5315CX, equipped with Xtalk calibration, can continue to accurately detect objects at close range (ranging from 2cm to 60cm) when the coverglass is in place. Additionally, I am curious about whether the VL5315CX still requires Xtalk calibration for distant objects (beyond 60cm) when the coverglass is utilized

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

if you have a dusty envionment, Then you are going to need a barrier between the TX and the RX to keep the light from returning immediately. (Otherwise the crosstalk will change based on the amount of dust.) There is such a device you can buy from www.hornix.com.tw It's a bit more expensive than a flat bit of plastic as it's molded from two different plastics. One is opaque to 940nm and the other is transparent. The beauty of this design is that there is NO crosstalk. So you don't need to calibrate it. So either buy this on or invent your own, but the important property is that opaque barrier between the transmit side and the receive side.

And with or without the cover glass, you do not need to calibrate beyond about 60cm as the crosstalk only affects the close distances.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @Rewq218813682 

the sensor still able detect close ranges using the cover glass after calibration. For more information, you have to take a look to this application note: 

Where you can find answer to all your questions including the calibration issues.

Screenshot_2023-09-06-12-26-43-02_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

For more information, take a look at this link.

Best regards.

II

John E KVAM
ST Employee

if you have a dusty envionment, Then you are going to need a barrier between the TX and the RX to keep the light from returning immediately. (Otherwise the crosstalk will change based on the amount of dust.) There is such a device you can buy from www.hornix.com.tw It's a bit more expensive than a flat bit of plastic as it's molded from two different plastics. One is opaque to 940nm and the other is transparent. The beauty of this design is that there is NO crosstalk. So you don't need to calibrate it. So either buy this on or invent your own, but the important property is that opaque barrier between the transmit side and the receive side.

And with or without the cover glass, you do not need to calibrate beyond about 60cm as the crosstalk only affects the close distances.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.