cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting distance data from VL53L8CH --> CNH histogram data

koch
Associate

Hello Community,

I had a doubt and wanted an explanation to it relating to a document published by STM electronics, 
https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_presentation/26oct2023-artificial-intelligence-enabler-time-of-flight-sensors-with-cnh-data.pdf

In this document on Pg 22, when you were trying to calculate the Cup's height:

Given: Sensor height from the base of the cup.

Process: You said that because the rays will get reflected inside the cup, you are considering the FSB, i.e the First Significant Bin, which is the nearest bin from the left in the CNH histogram of Signal Value vs Bins. 

Then it was mentioned that the rim that is getting detected in CNH but not being shown in the zone_data (distance) is because of the fact that it is not creating the signal peak value. But then you mentioned this besides the histogram,

• Thanks to the CNH and histogram shape, we can deduct all light path.
• Using the FSB method (First Significant Bin), we easily extract the distance from the sensor to the cup rim.
• Subtract the measured distance by the height to obtain the cup height.
• Using CNH data and FSB method, we extract 72 mm and higher accuracy.

My Question is how did you exactly derive such a perfect number? What calculation went in on the CNH data.

From what I know, I can only get the 'Distance_mm_zXX', where this column represents the distance at zone XX, where XX being the zone number, and "cnh_hist_bin_K_aXX", where this column represents the CNH data for a bin number K at zone/aggregate (if applies) number XX. Did you just take the bin distance i.e if the rim is at bin 3 and as we know bin width is 37.5mm or ~38mm, therefore the rim is at 38 + 38 + 19 = 95mm??

0 REPLIES 0