cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowable vibration levels for time of flight sensors

JStra.4
Associate
  1. Has ST done any research into the level of vibration these sensors can safely withstand? I'd like to use these on an application which experiences intermittently high vibration (up to 15m/s^2, mostly parallel to the sensor measurement direction). Accurate measurement during periods of vibration is not important (but the sensors failing obviously is)
  2. Would the models which include a lens (VL53L1x, VL53L5x) be less tolerant to vibration than those without?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Interesting question.

For one customer we subjected a similar part to a pretty good 'drop test'. As we put the parts into cellphones, we have to expect that from time to time the phones will be dropped. In this test we soldered the parts to a PCB, and mounted the PCB to a big square metal structure. Then we simply dropped the whole structure from a pretty good height.

I've seen a video, but I didn't get a height measurement. Looked to me like 4 or 5 feet. And we dropped it a half dozen times in the video.

I can't give you any data about this test, except to say that there is a good chance it might pass if you were to test it yourself.

The sensors aren't very heavy. The structure consists of the substrate, the silicon and a plastic cap. The interior of the sensor has a lot of air.

Other than that I can't give you more specifics.

Inside the chips with lenses are structures onto which the lens is affixed. One might guess that the would cause those sensors to be less reliable under massive vibration than would be the sensors without the lens, but that would just be a guess.

The data sheet for all our ToF parts contains a Shock Precaution section, that basically says don't shock it.

And I think that's what you are going to get from ST.

ST did not choose to guarantee a vibration spec. Most of our customers don't need it.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Interesting question.

For one customer we subjected a similar part to a pretty good 'drop test'. As we put the parts into cellphones, we have to expect that from time to time the phones will be dropped. In this test we soldered the parts to a PCB, and mounted the PCB to a big square metal structure. Then we simply dropped the whole structure from a pretty good height.

I've seen a video, but I didn't get a height measurement. Looked to me like 4 or 5 feet. And we dropped it a half dozen times in the video.

I can't give you any data about this test, except to say that there is a good chance it might pass if you were to test it yourself.

The sensors aren't very heavy. The structure consists of the substrate, the silicon and a plastic cap. The interior of the sensor has a lot of air.

Other than that I can't give you more specifics.

Inside the chips with lenses are structures onto which the lens is affixed. One might guess that the would cause those sensors to be less reliable under massive vibration than would be the sensors without the lens, but that would just be a guess.

The data sheet for all our ToF parts contains a Shock Precaution section, that basically says don't shock it.

And I think that's what you are going to get from ST.

ST did not choose to guarantee a vibration spec. Most of our customers don't need it.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.