cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware setup for USB-PD system level usage with AEKDUSBTYPEC1 kit and AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1

suvo
Associate II

Hi Guys,

We want to build a complete hardware setup with a SPC58EC-DISP board, AEKPOW-100W4V1, and AEK-USB-TYPEC1 and want to show USB-PD functionality with fixed and programmable output.

1. The first issue we face is AEK-USB-TYPEC1 giving only default 5 V output and other output voltages we are not getting. We are unable to know whether the software for the USB PD application is preloaded in the SPC58 microcontroller?

2. We are unable to find the resource related to SPC5-UDESTK-SW USB/JTAG debugger software, hence unable to run the UDE application. 

Looking for a suggestion? 

What are the software required to build and monitor USB-PD applications?

9 REPLIES 9
Max VIZZINI
ST Employee

Hi,

Please find my answers below.

>>1. The first issue we face is AEK-USB-TYPEC1 giving only default 5 V output and other output voltages we are not >>getting.

Yes, the default output value is 5V and this is by USB-PD specification. Before any negotiation is completed the system should deliver 5V as per standard USB. The other output voltages have to be negotiated by a device and then actuated by a power board (DC-DC). The negotiation is included in the firmware but if you consider the only two boards in the kit, there could not be actual power delivery because there is no power board. On the other side, the debug system will display on the terminal that the output voltage has been negotiated and provided.

>>We are unable to know whether the software for the USB PD application is preloaded in the SPC58 >>microcontroller?

Yes, the firmware is preloaded in the microcontroller and also available inside AutoDevKit Studio.

>>2. We are unable to find the resource related to SPC5-UDESTK-SW USB/JTAG debugger software, hence >>unable to run the UDE application.

Please download from: https://pls-mc.com/service/downloads/download-spc5-udestk/

The other alternative is to use the newly embedded OpenOCD debugger. Check in AutoDevKit Studio welcome page for a basic training video. 

PLS UDE and openOCD are two alternative products, so they CANNOT both be installed on your PC.

>>What are the software required to build and monitor USB-PD applications?

As you can see from our website, this application is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NEW DESIGN therefore we are not producing any update nor support. The software is deprecated but still present in AutoDevKit Studio (www.st.com/autodevkitsw)

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/aekd-usbtypec1.html

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi Guys,

1.We have stacked up three boards AEK-MCU-C4MLT1, AEK-USB-TYPEC1, and AEK-POW-100W4V1, providing 12 v power to the power board. We have connected and tested the PD sink IC and electronics load. But unable to start any negotiation between the provider and the consumer. (Electronics Load). We are assuming PD application software is preloaded into AEK-MCU-C4MLT1 and after doing the hardware connection we expect it to work. 

2. We went to the link  https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/aekd-usbtypec1.html  but we were unable to find any source code there.

Looking for suggestions from your side. 

Attaching the setup diagram.

Thanks and Regards

Suvo

Hi,

I have sent you by email the file to download with UDE debugger in the AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1. The code DOES NOT include the management of the power board, therefore the voltage will be only 5V but messages will show change of PDO. (Only 2 boards)

For the management of the power board, you have to import sample from application library in AutoDevKit Studio (www.st.com/autodevkitsw:(

MaxVIZZINI_0-1713880203585.png

The two codes are NOT tested together.

Please remember this solution is DEPRECATED and we do not support it anymore.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi @Max VIZZINI ,

Thanks for the reply.

I have sent you by email the file to download with UDE debugger in the AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1. 

I have received your file.

For the management of the power board, you have to import sample from application library in AutoDevKit Studio (www.st.com/autodevkitsw:(

MaxVIZZINI_0-1713880203585.png

AS of the above response I couldn't able to import the Application wizard of the Power Board ( SPC58ECxx_RLA AEK_POW_100W4v1 USB PD ). Below is the screenshot for your reference.

suvo_0-1713954247244.png

Also, while I'm trying to install AutoDevkit software inside SPC5Studio, Im getting this type of error. 

suvo_3-1713956409388.png

As according to my understanding, below is the flow I am following to implement USB PD application.

1. Install SPC5Studio software.

2. Install AutoDevkit software library which should support SPC5Studio in implementing applications.

3. Build an application according to the requirement ( or importing already available application which can be imported from the library ).

4. Once, WSX file is generated after compiling the code, it will be opened in UDE Debugger software for debugging.

5. Once the final firmware is ready, then it can be flashed into flash memory of the controller. 

6. Interface the board and it is ready to use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Presently, I am stuck up in the 2nd step. This may help you in providing better solution.

Also, we are facing Invalid License issue with  AutoDevkitsudio . We have pasted license in the path as mentioned in the instruction but still we are getting error.   

suvo_2-1713955537791.png

Thanks in advance.

Suvo

Hi,

The instruction you are following are outdated.

You do not need to install SPC5Studio.

Just install directly AutoDevKit Studio from www.st.com/autodevkitsw

After installation go to Help > Install New Software and type autodevkit.spcstudio.com as update site and follow update procedure.

MaxVIZZINI_0-1713963893971.png

>>>AS of the above response I couldn't able to import the Application wizard of the Power Board ( >>>>SPC58ECxx_RLA >>>AEK_POW_100W4v1 USB PD ). Below is the screenshot for your reference.

You do not see the power board code because you have only installed SPC5Studio. Once you install AutoDevKit Studio you will find all the additional components.

For the license issue, just ignore the message.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi,

Continuing the above discussion, we are trying to flash the firmware through USB using UDE STK 5.2 software. But the software says it can be flashed using a JTAG connector (no USB option in the software).

The communication between the Discovery Board and UDE Debugger software is not happening due to this issue.

suvo_0-1714629201586.png

If there is no option to flash the firmware using USB, do we have to purchase SPC5-UDESTK? along with the license (UDE software)? and do we get the support from STM for this.

Regards,

Suvo

Hi,

We never get this window. I guess you are manually trying to create a configuration and for PowerPC the only official way is the JTAG.

The only limit with PLS UDE free license is the code size of 256K. After this size you need to purchase a licensed debugger/programmer. The support of the PLS tool remains in PLS hands, we do not own the software.

In theory, if you try to open the right file from AutoDevKit Studio, you should not get this kind of window as the configuration is contained in the '.wsx' symbol file.

In PLS UDE just perform File>Open and select from the right folder your project with '.wsx' extension file. The default name is 'debug.wsx'. This file is generated from AutoDevKit Studio after generating and compiling the code and it is present in the UDE folder of the project. This file contains the configuration of the MCU and points to the out.hex of the project.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback .Further we want to clarify the below query.

Is JTAG the only possible way, we can download firmware into the AEK-MCU-C4MLT1 discovery board or we can use an onboard FTDI chip to download the firmware? After dumping the firmware, whether  solution(Combination of 3 boards) will it will show all fixed and programmable voltages and currents? Whether we can procure any JTAG device as mentioned is the below option? 

1.SPC5-UDESTK - USB/JTAG debugger for SPC5 MCUs with software license included (by PLS) - STMicroelectronics

2.https://www.mouser.in/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/AEK-MCU-SPC5LNK?qs=dbcCsuKDzFWsyI%252BMWBlPmA%3D%3D

Whether we can choose option 2. 

Thanks 

Suvo

Hi,

Let me try to answer and clarify.

>>Is JTAG the only possible way, we can download firmware into the AEK-MCU-C4MLT1 discovery board or we can >>use an onboard FTDI chip to download the firmware?

With AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1 you have two options:

- use the on board FTDI chip with PLS UDE software to download the code (up to 256K)

- or use an external debugger/programmer in the JTAG port 

Clearly, it is either one or the other and not in parallel. If you use the JTAG port, DO NOT connect the USB.

To understand how to download the firmware in the AEK-MCU-C4MLIT1 with PLS UDE using the USB port, you can refer to the Youtube training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vn_cRUfRag 

>>After dumping the firmware, whether  solution(Combination of 3 boards) will it will show all fixed and >>programmable voltages and currents?

No. As I have already explained we do not have a full integrated firmware because the solution is Deprecated.

With the firmware you can only look at the negotiation portion of the USBPD protocol but voltage will be 5V.

The behavior of the firmware I sent you is exactly what is shown in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qE6Ih27jhs  provided you have a potential load to connect. BE CAREFUL this is not a industrialized / production level solution. It is just evaluation boards.

The SEPARATE demo is for the power board AEK-POW-L5964V1 and AEK-POW-400W4V1 where you can play in the source code to change the voltage levels.

Again, AEKD-USBTYPEC1 firmware DOES NOT support the power boards  AEK-POW-L5964V1 /  AEK-POW-400W4V1 .

>>> Whether we can procure any JTAG device as mentioned is the below option? 

For programming and debugging the firmware, you can use 2 different options PLS UDE or OpenOCD (newly added). The two systems CANNOT be installed in parallel as Windows drivers have to be overwritten.

Depending on the programming / debugging firmware you will require a different JTAG Device.

For PLS UDE you can use:

SPC5-UDESTK  --> This is deprecated. NRND (Not recommended for new designs)

SPC5-UDESTK - USB/JTAG debugger for SPC5 MCUs with software license included (by PLS) - STMicroelectronics

AEK-MCU-SPC5LNKU  Newly created JTAG programmer for PLS UDE 

For OpenOCD the debug / programmer is AEK-MCU-SPC5LNK

To avoid mixing, please notice that the UDE version has 'U' at the end while OpenOCD version does not.

Best Regards,

AutoDevKit Team