cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing NUCLEO-F446RE IC board with STM32L4P5RET6 IC.

AKuma.33
Associate II

Hi,

I am also trying to test a bare STM32 IC "STM32L4P5RET6", but have been unable to program it using Nucleo.

I have tested the following connections and it seems to be working.

https://os.mbed.com/media/uploads/mega64/2nucleos_2.jpg

Can I replace NUCLEO-F446RE with STM32L4P5RET6:

• They are both pin-to-pin compatible, except VCAP_1.
  • They are both Cortex-M4.

To see whether it works or not.

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Are you asking if you can remove the MCU on the NUCLEO-F446RE and replace it with the STM32L4P5RET6 and expect the onboard ST-Link to work correctly as far as programming/debugging?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AKuma.33
Associate II

I am asking if I can replace the Onboard MCU from Nucleo-F446RE with STM32L4P5RET6, and expect the Board to program STM32L4P5RET6.

Though I tried replacing MCU on Nucleo-L452RE with STM32L4P5RET6, and it's working fine without any issues so far. As they belong to the same Cortex-M4 Low power series.

Thanks.

TDK
Guru

Yes, it should work as far as I can see, since the only difference (VCAP1) is present on the F4 but isn't needed on the L4.

The programmer-side of the board can be used to program all chips, so it has no way of knowing if you've replaced the onboard chip or are simply connecting to an external one.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".