cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are using the STM8L052R8T6 CPU, The normal current is about 15 microampere, but in several units, the current jump to about 34 milliampere.

EGaba.1
Associate II

We are using the STM8L052R8T6 CPU. The CPU is in Wait mode most of the time, so the current is about 15 microampere . In several cases, the current jump to about 34 milliampere (yes.. 34 mA!)

We are using the STM8L052R8T6 CPU,  

The CPU is in Wait mode most of the time, so the current is about 15 uA.

In several units, after several weeks of operating, the current jump to about 34 milliampere (yes... 34 mA!).

The CPU is operate with no any malfunction.

Turn OFF and ON is not helping. 

Once the current rise to 34 mA, nothing is help, even reprogramming the device.

Please let me know, what can be the reason for this?

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

I have seen STM32 malfunction with high current surge when overvoltage was applied accidental to some pin. Did perhaps people handle the board w/o ESD protection?

EGaba.1
Associate II

Thanks

That was my first thought as well, but the 34mA current, is showing after several weeks that the CPU current is correct.

After the installation of the unit (with the CPU board in it), no one can touch it.

There are ESD protection components on the CPU pins as well.

B.T.W. why the current is 34 mA, in case of ESD

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

If it is exact 34 mA on several units, it is probably some other error. Maybe some external device broke down. Is the current 34 mA too when the MC is held under reset? When external load is disconnected? What is the schematics?

EGaba.1
Associate II

The 34 mA is not exact for the faulty units.

Yes, while the CPU is under RESET, The current is 34mA as well.

There are any external devices that might broke down. The CPU: 1. read an discrete input (open or GND). 2. Drive an output. That's all.

In both output stages, the current is 34mA.