cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running multiple builds sequentially

LThal
Associate II

I'd like to find out if there's a way to run multiple builds sequentially. At the moment, when I build a project, I run the build command, wait for it to complete, then make some modifications to the .ld file and run the build again. Everything but the linker file is the same for both builds. I'd like to find out of there's a way to run the build twice, using different .ld files.

3 REPLIES 3
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

In your projects properties in the C/C++ Build menu in the Behavior tab you can enable parallel build to speed up the process (hopefully). However, I don't know of a way to do it with two different .ld files in the same project.

Bob S
Principal

To use different linker files for different builds there are (at least) 2 options if you are using SystemWorkbench (may work in other Eclipse-based IDEs):

(1) Create 2 different build configurations, for example "Release_Config1" and "Release_Config2". OPen the project properties, go to "C/C++ Build" -> "Settings". In the "Tool Settings" tab, click on the "General" line under "MCU GCC Linker". You will see a "Linker Script" line in the right-hand pane. For your "Release_Config1" set that to the normal linker file. Then change configuration to "Release_Config2", edit that line for the other (modified) linker script file.

Then you can build whichever configuration you need, without the need to edit the linker file between builds.

(2) Instead of creating 2 different build configurations, create 2 different top-level projects. Then edit the linker script file as in (1) above.

I use method (1) for my systems where one configuration runs stand-alone and another configuration runs with a bootloader (and thus is located at a different place in Flash).

LThal
Associate II

Since I'm always going to want both builds when I build the project I'd rather have something that builds both automatically. If I can't figure that out, I'll go for the dual projects path. Thanks for the suggestions.