cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8L power (current) consumption problem

jisoon
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2011 at 06:42

I'm developing some applications with STM8L152R8 and STM8L152M8 MCU now, and both applications are battery-used product. The problem is that, I cannot make the MCU consume micro-ampere order current.

I used every methods described in the reference guide manual, including low power run mode, active halt mode, and halt mode but our current indicator displayed mA order current consumption, from 1mA to 5mA. Of course I have stoped HSI, LSI, all timers and disabled all interrupts. GPIOs are also retested as push-pull low-slow output mode. I was confused, thus I decided to take out the STM8L discovery board and verify with that evaluation board.

First, I just delivered power into the discovery board with USB cable. Through toggling the power mode, the LCD of discovery board have shown fine current consumption. About 1mA in run mode, and about 7uA in low-power mode, and below 1uA in halt mode ... it seemed fine.

However, the result changed with my verification method changing. I switched the IDD jumper to 'OFF' mode, and started verification again. With IDD jumper switch off, the current-measuring circuit should be powerless and the MCU will solely consume the power, I expected so. I connected the precise current measuring multimeter (Agilent 34401A) serially in power supply line (3.3V), and started current consumption measuremnt by ourselves. And the multimeter have shown 30mA of current consumption. Unbelievable, but that's what I've seen. Regardless of MCU power mode, the current consumption was 30mA.

This is my current situation. Now I cannot be certain of our current consumption method neither the firmware code we've written for MCU low power mode. I want to run our device in active-halt mode with RTC, and the power consumption matter is very important. 

Little help here, please?

#stm8s-discovery-power-consumption #low-power #stm8l #stm8l-low-power-halt #high-current #high-current
13 REPLIES 13
Posted on June 11, 2018 at 12:11

'

I measured current between +3V3 and GND pin,'

you couldn't have possibly done that. because if you did, you would have blown up either the power supply or the meter.

what you described is weird (out of this worldly weird), and more likely a measurement problem. If I were, you, I would take out a schematic and show exactly how and where you measured the current and go from there.

Hi, this is very helpful for my project, but with same code I am able to achieve only 0.8mA,

Please suggest, how to achieve 0.5uA as you suggested,

I am using STM8L151K4T6 IC, and connection multimeter (black and white pins) in parallel with Vcc to check current.

Like: multimeter red pin -> IC vcc and black pin -> stlink vcc

Understand this post is from 12 years ago, forum respondent unlikely to be checking thread, or alerted..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Do we have any solutions or suggestion on this?