cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer cannot connect to stm32mp157x-DK2 or to custom board, in what configuration should the J-tag/SWD connection work?

Arnas Celkys
Associate II

I have been trying to connect to stm32mp157x-DK2 via on board stl-ink and to my custom board via stlink-v3set, using the STM32CubeProgrammer, but on both boards I get the same error. I have tried selecting engineer and productions mode - no luck. What am I doing wrong? - see a picture bellow

Also why stm32mp157x-DK2 - allows full access via uart to boards memory and custom board does not (see schematics bellow)

0693W00000Hps5FQAR.png1.pic. J-tag error of not detecting MPU on eval-board.

0693W00000Hps6rQAB.png2.Pic. Eval-board st-link schematics.

0693W00000Hps71QAB.png3.Pic.Custom board - pins that connects to STlink-V3set.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Arnas Celkys​ ,

No you can't connect  SWD/J-TAG using CubeProgrammer.

SWD/J-TAG is present only for debug purpose ( so with CubeIDE which is working at your end )

To load program into memory CubeProg can only use USB or UART.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Software looks to be using a ST-LINK V2, not a V3

NJRST != NRST

The NUCLEO board needs to have it's target physically disconnected, for JTAG be specifically aware of SWO/TDO pin as this is not addressed by the SWDIO/SWCLK connection jumpers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

The screenshot is the the eval-board yes it's V2 link not V3 - my bad sorry. But the stm32mp157x-DK2 should be able to access the target MPU via ST-link using cubeMxprogramer - in for example engineering mode, or am i misstaken?

Arnas Celkys
Associate II

also to clarify - is it possible to connect to stm32mp157x-DK using SWD/J-TAG using the stm32cubeprogrammer? - I was not been able to find this info anywehre. I can connect to the board via cuveIDE (using J-tag) no problem, but I can do that when using stm32cubeprogrammer..... I am trying to do this to test if my build custom board has all the required debugging peripherals. 

Also I have tried connectin in Engineering and in Production modes, and tried fiddling with options of stm32cubeprogrammer, but no luck :?

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Arnas Celkys​ ,

No you can't connect  SWD/J-TAG using CubeProgrammer.

SWD/J-TAG is present only for debug purpose ( so with CubeIDE which is working at your end )

To load program into memory CubeProg can only use USB or UART.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Got it, thanks! it was my misinterpretation:)

But for example - I have a custom board made, and I want to test that MPU is functional 100%, there is not tool to access it via J-tag and make sure that it works - apart from just using IDE to debug/load firmware?