cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No STM32 target found

EOBD
Associate

Hi, I have been recently trying to leave my shallow nucleo side of the pool behind and swim towards the deeper end of the pool. But I feel like I'm drowning a bit and could use a lifeline... (:
I have so far managed to connect to and write to, a small 32-pin lqfp G0B1 mcu. But when trying to move to something more robust everything breaks down...

EOBD_1-1707333154936.png

Iv plugged in every power supply pin (but VREF, VBAT, and the SMPS ones) to a simple breadboard power line with an average of a 4.7uf capacitor between each pair of VDD and VSS lines as close as possible, by the book.
to the STlink, I connected SWD clock+io, and reset.
So, the first problem I butted heads with, was that my power miser computer wont supply enough current in each USB port so whenever I connected the power (from stlink to the mcu) it would just turn off the stlink.... I got around it by just connecting a different 3.3v line and it worked, the stlink powered on and connected with the board (this wasn't happening with the smaller one). I did notice that whenever I was unplugging the stlink from my computer it would get "back" power from a different supply. That's not a problem, right?
And now it just won't connect.. I tried every mode; under reset + software reset, as some of you pointed out in different posts, but nothing. I'm pretty certain I didn't brick it because it's not the first mcu I've tried with (again with a big one, the small one is a sweetheart) and I was careful not to zap it with anything more than 3.3. plus, I hand-soldered it, so no danger of humidity-related damage. the only thing that comes to my mind is contacts, but I checked all of them for bridges and general conductivity from mcu leg to header pin (pain, just pain)

EOBD_2-1707334689895.jpeg

has anyone been in my place before? Do you have some tips?
thanks so much for reading and potential help🙏🙏

6 REPLIES 6
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@EOBD Here is your lifeline.  https://www.fiverr.com/categories/programming-tech/electronics-engineering

Here you can get help with schemes, board design and embedded software. Your wish is a command.

TDK
Guru

> I connected SWD clock+io, and reset.

And GND and power?

> So, the first problem I butted heads with, was that my power miser computer wont supply enough current in each USB port so whenever I connected the power (from stlink to the mcu) it would just turn off the stlink

You shouldn't be pulling more than maybe 50 mA from the port. If the computer has a problem, probably there is another issue with your hardware.

> That's not a problem, right?

Generally not, but it depends.

> Do you have some tips?

Start with the basics again. Ensure chip is powered correctly. Recheck wiring between chip and programmer. See if STM32CubeProgrammer can connect to the programmer. See if it reports the correct voltage. See if it connects to the chip. If not, look for workmanship issues such as solder bridges or bad connections.

If you can, check the current being drawn by the chip. If it's more than maybe 50 mA, probably the hardware is damaged.

Consider buying a nucleo board for development and a genuine programmer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@Pavel A. I get the sentiment that work can be paid for, but for simpler things, especially for obviously hobby and newbie projects, it seems appropriate to make posts here. Otherwise what is this forum for?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

A low cost powered hub might be something to consider as cheaper than a laptop

The fake/bootleg ST-LINK/V2 devices might be a problem, ST is cracking down on those.

Double check part orientation. For authentic ST-LINK/2 the VTarget pins need to be connected to board power, this powers buffers, and the voltage is also reported on STM32 Cube Programmer.

A schematic of your external circuit elements and connectivity might be helpful to understand what might be an issue.

Pins of the same name may not be internally connected, or desirable to be conduction paths.

Check the level on NRST.

I tend to prefer wire-wrap or schmartwires over dupont wires and breadboards.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Tim, point taken, thanks.  However it's not just about payment, rather about amount of time and patience needed to understand particular situation. Services like fiverr allow people to meet their dedicated helper (or several) and employ them as long as it takes, whether or not the issue is related to STM32. Prices there are affordable and they provide protection and resolution of complaints.

Hi, thanks for writing, I'm honestly amazed at how nice people are here. Do you get free stuff from ST per x likes (kudos?), or are you just good people😂?
I'll get my hands on a real stlink, feed the ST monster. though I don't think its the problem, because again (as I really like to mention) it worked no problem with the small one.

I think I'll just save myself the wire mess and just design a PCB. Isolate the problem.
thanks!