cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any alternative to Cube Monitor?

NTosi
Associate III

Hi, I find Cube Monitor, sorry for the expresion, the worst ever software from ST and maybe the worst tool I have ever used.

I still try to work with old one STM Studio, which is hundred times better but because is obsolete now it's running out of the limits.

In my work, we use Inca and Vector Canape so I have a very good experience with live measurment tools.

Because Cube Monitor is uselles to me, could you know or suggest any other alternative software?

Sorry for my hard opinion, but this is only the true. Stm Studio is still much better and easy to use and it is not nexxesary to draw 5-6 lines and add 3-4 boxes to be able to change a single variable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PHryn
Associate III

I wouldn't blame STM for this.

I guess that the software that you mentioned is not for free. Its very narrow targeted product and STMCube Monitor tries to make everyone happy.

Stm32Cube in all forms is free and microcontrollers documentation is freely available. Nothing can stop anyone from starting from scratch and build something that suits your needs.

I don't think that NXP, TI and any other uc company offers anything better.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TDK
Guru

How are you using it? Live expressions in STM32CubeIDE go a long way.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
NTosi
Associate III

I want to tune a PID contoller so I need something more that live expressions.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Some RTT implementation (Segger, OpenOCD, https://github.com/blacksphere/bl*ckm*gic/pull/954) can perhaps help.

PHryn
Associate III

​Use RTT or serial port. Dump whatever you like as a .csv file and then you can analyse it in a spreadsheet.

I agree that the cube monitor is a flop.

You can try my RTT version which works with stlink.

https://github.com/phryniszak/strtt

https://github.com/phryniszak/jstlink

​Another option if you want live data/charts and you have js/html skills you can take the library used in the last one link and create dashboards with data in the browser.

hi, I know bl*ck magic but they don't have a tool for the visualization.

NTosi
Associate III

Seems good your suggestion but I 'm realy diasapointed with CubeMonitor and I ask myself how is possible ST with so many cool tools to build this terrible tool. And also I wouldnt invest my time for this tool but for my project with the uC.

They dont see or understand the feedback? I cannot believe that is outhere people which like or work with cube monitor.

Given the traffic in the forum, It doesn’t seem like STMCubeMonitor is very popular or has a wide user base. I doubt it receives anywhere near the attention of CubeMX, CubeIDE, motor control, or touchgfx.
I have used it. It seems like a very niche product and doesn’t serve a fundamental programming need. I also did not care for it.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
NTosi
Associate III

I think a software like cube monitor is fundamedal for the calibration. If you have a motor contol algorith, then how can calibrate it without cube monitor or something similar? In my work Inca and Canape are very important to calibrate ECUs for cars.

PHryn
Associate III

I wouldn't blame STM for this.

I guess that the software that you mentioned is not for free. Its very narrow targeted product and STMCube Monitor tries to make everyone happy.

Stm32Cube in all forms is free and microcontrollers documentation is freely available. Nothing can stop anyone from starting from scratch and build something that suits your needs.

I don't think that NXP, TI and any other uc company offers anything better.