cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why STM32Cube IDE doesn't support native apple silicon ?

mhmmtdmr
Associate II

5 REPLIES 5
Bob S
Principal

Because the STM32CubeIDE is intended/targeted only for ST devices - why would ST spend time making their IDE work for other company's products?  If you want generic ARM development, use generic Eclipse, or MCUXpresso if that works for you.

If you read the question I asked carefully, I am talking about other companies' own IDEs that offer the necessary versions for macOS apple silicon. why ST doesn't do the same. the question I asked was very clear and I just showed an example.

Because most anyone can afford a $150-200 Windows box to get the job done..

There's probably much better ways to spend the development/quality assurance budget than pandering to the most expensive/least accessible equipment

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

macos intel build already there ide and other stmcube tools it's not a problem to build aarch64 version for st. x86_64 version run using rosetta 2 but I don't want to go this way. I am mainly using windows, sometimes I use my mac and nxp side I don't have a problem seamless changes between devices .

@mhmmtdmr wrote:

macos intel build already there ide and other stmcube tools it's not a problem to build aarch64 version for st. x86_64 version run using rosetta 2 but I don't want to go this way

Please use punctuation and capitalization. Nobody can make anything from that word salad. I'm guessing with "support" in your initial post you mean run the IDE on, not the build target. STM32CubeIDE runs on Windows and Linux just fine in my experience and also supports MAC. You can use a virtual machine if you have an uncommon type of machine that is not supported. Or use a different IDE such as VsCode. I cannot answer for ST why apple silicon is not supported. But my guess is that it's not worth maintaining a version for a platform that less than 1% of its users use.

Kudo posts if you have the same problem and kudo replies if the solution works.
Click "Accept as Solution" if a reply solved your problem. If no solution was posted please answer with your own.