cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using STM32CubeIDE with ARM MDK builds

LBöhm.1
Associate III

Hello,

I created a Makefile Project in STM32CubeIDE which uses ARM MDK Toolchain.

I would like to know if it is somehow possible to use STM32CubeIDE for debugging in conjunction with ARM MDK?

As in uVision IDE from ARM doesn't support to load more than one .elf/.axf to target.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

CubeIDE can debug a .elf or .axf since version 1.7.

Please see the CubeIDE user guide, 3.8 "Import STM32 executable".

This is called ""Projectless debug" but actually creates a new project, similar to makefile-based.

>  uVision IDE from ARM doesn't support to load more than one .elf/.axf to target.

IIRC it does, by manually entering debugger commands, or by debugger script.

-- pa

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

CubeIDE can debug a .elf or .axf since version 1.7.

Please see the CubeIDE user guide, 3.8 "Import STM32 executable".

This is called ""Projectless debug" but actually creates a new project, similar to makefile-based.

>  uVision IDE from ARM doesn't support to load more than one .elf/.axf to target.

IIRC it does, by manually entering debugger commands, or by debugger script.

-- pa

Thank you for the fast answer, but I cannot find a "user guide" on ST site. Do you have a link to that document?

Using debugger scripts is not very user-friendly. I would prefer to do it differently. 🙂

You'll find the STM32CubeIDE User Guide (UM2609) under the website of STM32CubeIDE or directly here.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Ahh, it had hidden behind a drop-down list. Thanks.

I tried both possibilities and I think I gonna go with debugger scripts in uVision. Because when I tried debugging with gdb in CubeIDE it sometimes kicked me out or raised bus faults. Maybe this is because I use TrustZone on my controller.