cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to Import one project from one workspace into another and 25 projects were imported. Then, selected "delete from disk" and all 25 prijects were deleted from THREE workspaces. Why?

JBonn
Associate III

5 REPLIES 5
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

No idea. Maybe you've got an interesting super-power.

I honestly despair at the state of things.

These type of failing have been reported over several years, along with ambiguous messages where it's not clear if OK or CANCEL is the appropriate response.

Some time things can be recovered via Windows, and get back previous versions of files/directories.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there,

My only guess as to why 25 projects were imported would be if you tried to import the entire workspace (containing 25 projects?) instead of selecting a specific one.

As to the deletion, that obviously seems like a bug. Could you provide a step-by-step guide of the steps you took in order for me to try to reproduce it?

Hello Markus,
Thanks for your response.
You are correct. Instead of the one project being imported, all the projects from the previous workspace were imported.
I intended to delete all brought in and try again to import only the one I wanted. STM32CubeIDE would ask “Delete permanent on Disk�?.
I said yes thinking it would only delete from my new workspace. However, over 75 projects, all with different names and created with 3 different versions of STM32CubeIDE, were deleted from 3 different workspaces.
In my code development of a new product, I would add a function to a project and get that function debugged.
Then, copy that project into the same workspace and then give that project a new name
For example, get something working in project CS-1., copy CS-1 into same workspace, and then rename all the CS-1 files in the just copied project to CS-2.
Next, get something new working in CS-2 and repeat the copy and rename.
Sometimes, other projects to help in the development of a new function would be imported from CT examples or elsewhere.
In general, when a new version of STM32CubeIDE came out I would create a new workspace. Did this for Version 8, 9 and 10.
YES. I do think it is a STM32Cube IDE problem. Projects not named in Workspaces not named should not have been deleted.
I have given up on trying to recover the projects lost. Am now working on redoing about one year of code.
ST microelectronics STM32CubeIDE has cost me thousands of dollars.
ST has numerous examples for STM32CubeIDE but almost none for STM32CubeMX. That *****.
Jerry Bonner

>ST microelectronics STM32CubeIDE has cost me thousands of dollars.

IDE bugs notwithstanding, no version control = your fault.