cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32cubeide update failed

redwil
Associate II

hello all,

I do appreciate the 'free' stuff since I am a small/independent/yet-to-make-profit developer, I am disappointed with the  IDE in a couple of years so need to update, as far eclipse related updates work well (seem to download and install) but st.com related are finicky. The ide update process starts downloading from st,com update site it goes up t cca 90% download (a certain component, not all, not always the same) then is stops without a noticeable reason.

Sine the decision was made to have an an executable rather than a script to start the .jar main we have no idea how and what is going on. debug info is scarce, command line options info inexistent (or hard to find. I did not fund them). slf4j is not bundled so no log hence no idea of what is going on.... blah blah

I do not mind to be bashed if people feel like it although I would appreciate some help (I am not asking often)

I have a couple of questions if somebody knows the answers.

1) how to debug the IDE, get some meaningful info about what is going on

2) where are the user prefs/customization kept. this goes with the next. I want to keep my customization.

3) if unzip/untar the distribution over an existing one is the same as update from within the IDE ok or better replace the whole directory.

sorry guys. just frustrated. I am thankfully though that something like this exists. it helps a bit.

Rant... sorry

- eclipse platform although good is bloated.. not everybody has the latest and the greatest hardware/os

- not everybody uses windows

- there are some dinosaurs out there they think sw should be lean, mean and efficient. it's an art

- actually the some end users are smart. they do not need to be told 'this is the way', 'we know better' ... etc

and so on..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
redwil
Associate II

just an update

after very very long time (> 8 hours) update from 1.13 to 1.15 finished. 

took about 2 min to start and seem to work

not clear why so slow

btw my wk env (os: opensuse leap 15.4, storage: nvme + nfs, cpu: decent I7 7th gen)

anyway apologize for the rant but would had been very helpful to have a more detailed feedback during long processing phases.

I would mark this thread as solved/irrelevant but do not know how.

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
redwil
Associate II

just an update

after very very long time (> 8 hours) update from 1.13 to 1.15 finished. 

took about 2 min to start and seem to work

not clear why so slow

btw my wk env (os: opensuse leap 15.4, storage: nvme + nfs, cpu: decent I7 7th gen)

anyway apologize for the rant but would had been very helpful to have a more detailed feedback during long processing phases.

I would mark this thread as solved/irrelevant but do not know how.

Thanks

Hi,

just..i have IDE on Linux MX 18 since 5 y now , beginning with V1.0.0 , now 1.13.1 .

And still have 1.0.0 , because i never trusted in STM "update" (didnt work anyway...),

but just installed new version and keep old unchanged. So can test the new "surprises" it brings and decide then , to use or delete it.

I recommend this way, except you like playing russian roulette .

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The 'update' is why I try to have all installations as contained as possible.

Just got the idea to use linux containers (not docker) LXC/LXD for example. will try it 

Nevertheless my old process is:

- get the generic linux package (could be done w/ deb/rpm ones)

- run it with --noexec --keep --target <some-wk-dir>

- go to <some-wk-dir> and read the embedded scripts to understand what they do
  -- as a matter of fact besides licence, some checks untar a big archive in your destination choice.
- do the same for the embedded shar's for the stlink drivers, server and udev rules. checking how/if they mess with the system.
- if all is good replace the 'current' symlink with the new one. 

- make a tar archive of the newly vetted installed version (just in case I need to start fresh)

This is good I think when playing with multiple vendors.