cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE needs IDE built-in usage examples.

Not applicable

I was used to using the Arduino IDE, and I think it might be easier to use the STM32CubeIDE software if there are usage examples built into the IDE. This makes it convenient to use the IDE without having to copy and paste external code to complement existing IDE libraries.

After the user has chosen the uC and hardware module, such as USB Host, and HID class, the generated code could already be complete for basic use, such as generating DEBUG outputs by moving the mouse, or pressing a keyboard key. Another example could be the generation of a beep on a USB sound card, as well as the use of Pendrive, or an example of a flashing LED with the interruption of a timer.

I know there are some videos that already demonstrate how the user should do it, but the IDE is already 97% ready and these examples could help you get close to 100%.

I know that the IDE already generates almost all the support needed for uC to work, but it still needs user complementation.

Most end users look for examples available on the internet, forums, blogs, etc. Technical manuals often have a lot of information, but they can also make it harder to find the usage example because you need to gather information from multiple documents to understand each part of the puzzle.

One of the biggest attractions of Arduino IDE software is the availability of the examples integrated in the IDE itself.

0690X00000BugXcQAJ.png

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples

3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Some time ago, I had commented in a forum, that PIC family uC datasheets were much easier for a novice user to understand than Atmel uC datasheets, I don't know what happened, but a while later, Microchip eventually bought Atmel and began rewriting the Atmel uC datasheets.

With regard to STM datasheets, I believe there may be improvements, and I believe that the PIC family datasheets can be a good reference on the issue that it is rarely necessary to use external documents to understand how to use uC.

I understand that ARM is very complex, but what you manufacturers can improve to make it easier for novice users to make uC internal modules work, certainly will reflect the amount of projects made with STM family uC, avoiding using uC from other manufacturers who have more usage examples or more didactic documentation.

Thank you.

Ozone
Lead

> I was used to using the Arduino IDE, and I think it might be easier to use the STM32CubeIDE software if there are usage examples built into the IDE. This makes it convenient to use the IDE without having to copy and paste external code to complement existing IDE libraries.

This is surely valid for the hobbyists, occasional users, and beginners/students ST wants to attract.

Professional customers, who create most of ST's revenue, put emphasis on different things.

> I believe that the PIC family datasheets can be a good reference on the issue that it is rarely necessary to use external documents to understand how to use uC.

Actually, if you go beyond the 8-bit PICs, you'll encounter a documentation model where every peripheral has its own separate document.

JW