cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE, blank page when "Start new STM32 project", after initialising target selector. Ubuntu 19.04

APate.17
Associate II

Title says it all. I cannot create a new project - the model dialog for 'select STM32 target' is blank.

Freshly installed the from .deb_bundle.sh installer without errors.

Running Ubuntu 19.04 with vanilla gnome-session installed.

15 REPLIES 15
Benjamin Forest
Associate

Worked for me as well, thanks !

If you normally open the IDE using the search bar or a shortcut icon, you can always have this fix by editing the associated .desktop file for the STM32CubeIDE shortcut:

sudo emacs /usr/share/applications/st-stm32cubeide-1.3.0.desktop

Change:

Exec=/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/stm32cubeide %F

To:

Exec=/usr/bin/env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/stm32cubeide %F

GeoFoz
Associate

I was able to sort this out on my Fedora 32 install by adding a line to my /usr/share/applications/st-stm32cubeide-1.3.0.desktop file.

Much like GBeck.1's answer, I simply added the line...

Exec=/usr/bin/env GDK_BACKEND=x11 export GDK_BACKEND

above the existing Exec line in the aforementioned .desktop file so that it (in total) looks like this ...

[Desktop Entry]

Name=STMicroelectronics STM32CubeIDE 1.3.0

Comment=STMicroelectronics STM32CubeIDE 1.3.0

GenericName=STM32CubeIDE

Exec=/usr/bin/env GDK_BACKEND=x11 export GDK_BACKEND

Exec=/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/stm32cubeide %F

Icon=/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/icon.xpm

Path=/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/

Terminal=false

StartupNotify=true

Type=Application

Categories=Development

I now get the target page populated and I can continue on.

RStar.1
Associate

I am still having this problem on Ubuntu. I have downloaded the debian version of stm32cubeide, and when I open it and select start new stm32 project it brings up the target select screen but it is completely blank and the only valid option is "cancel." I have tried running:

$GDK_BACKEND=x11
$export GDK_BACKEND
$/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/stm32cubeide

but this didn't work. I have also tried adding Exec=/usr/bin/env GDK_BACKEND=x11 export GDK_BACKEND as GeoFoz suggested and changing the line to Exec=/usr/bin/env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.3.0/stm32cubeide %F as GBeck.1 suggested. But I am still seeing the same thing. I have also tried rebooting the computer and uninstalling & reinstalling the software.

Is there any thing I am missing? Does x11 need to be installed / how would I do that? (google doesn't have a clear answer, I thought x11 was default in ubuntu)

Thank you so much! still works on ubuntu 21.04!

This did it for me, thank you very much! I am using Debian Buster 64 bit.