cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink Server with MacOS 15

jdw
Associate II

Hello,

I updated to Mac15 (MacOS Sonoma Public Beta), which was probably a mistake. Now I get an error from STMCubeIDE when I try to run indicating "ST-Link Server is required to launch the debug session" and to Please download it on www.st.com.  

I figured something changed in the OS that no longer makes the ST-Link Server run any more.

However when I try to download it, I get essentially a broken link, or at least it simply wont download. Even worse, the web page with Safari seems entirely broken and I cant even get a download to start after accepting the license, but with FireFox I get further, I get but still wont download and the link seems broke.

I can still flash using the STM32CubeProgrammer fortunately (using 2.13.1).

Can anyone tell me how to download this ST-Link Server? Or if there is an issue with the last MacOS and this and there is no fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rohdea
Associate

Using "sudo" can temporarily solve this issue

sudo /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/STM32CubeIDE

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
TDK
Guru

STMCubeIDE should be self-contained, everything it needs is installed alongside it. You shouldn't need to download anything else.

Did you try to reinstall?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
jdw
Associate II

I have not tried to reinstalled STMCubeIDE as yet. I find it a bit odd that ST offers a download page for the STLink-Server (even if it does not seem to work for me) - https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/st-link-server.html

and further seems to put a message in the STMCubeIDE to download it. But, maybe that happens because somehow the server binary is not compatible with MacOS 15 Sonoma and it STMCubeIDE acts like it simply does not see the server running, and cant find it. Therefore, it makes me wonder if there is some overall issue with the server and MacOS 15. I can try to re-install STMCubeIDE 16.0.

jdw
Associate II

I have now been able to both download the server, which after installing did not fix my issue. So I downloaded and reinstalled STMCubeIDE16.0, and that did not help either. I would say there is some new incompatibility with MacOS 15 Sonoma, which is is going to break a bunch of folks at some point. I am happy to help ST work how what is going on with my case if anyone wants to.

jdw
Associate II

One thing I want to correct, is the naming of MacOS above - 15.0 is Sequoia.

TDK
Guru

Per the release notes, MacOS 15 isn't officially supported yet. No doubt it will be eventually, but you'll probably have to wait.

TDK_0-1722798683914.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
jdw
Associate II

Yep that makes perfect sense. I think I did get a bit aggressive on the update. Thanks for responding to that. At least I can still compile and flash with the command line programmer so I’m not blocked. 

I have the same issue after updating last night to macOS 15.0.

Rohdea
Associate

Using "sudo" can temporarily solve this issue

sudo /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/STM32CubeIDE

tdunn
Associate

Thank you Rohdea! Using sudo to launch the app solved the issue for me as well.