cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI COMMUNICATION THREE WIRE/ FOUR WIRE

Error_Code
Associate II

Hi,

I have doubt with the spi communication setup in this configuration. I'm using two sensors where one of the sensor only support 3 wire spi and another  is 4 wire .I have a single spi in mcu. The hardware setup is followed by mapping four wire spi to mcu(mcu is configured in full duplex mode) and put a resistor between miso and mosi and given to three wire spi slave. 

>Is it possible to make proper communication in this setup?

>If this is okay how the master mcu will differentiate betweeen them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Technically, yes. You would need to reconfigure the peripheral in 3-wire mode when you wanted to use that mode and switch to 4-wire mode for the other sensors. Not something that will be supported by CubeMX.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @Error_Code 

First let me thank you for posting.

1- Yes you can make a proper communication using this setup.
Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) allows full-duplex or half-duplex synchronous serial communication with multiple devices over 3 or 4 wires.
For example  by checking the datasheet of the sensor ADXL345 ( Digital Accelerometer)

GhofraneGSOURI_0-1705485628712.png

2- To differentiate between the two sensors, you can use a separate GPIO pin as an additional chip select (CS) for the 3 wire sensor.

Thx

Ghofrane

Thanks for your response,

Is it possible to use both three wire and 4 wire spi in same spi bus? if yes how it will work?

Technically, yes. You would need to reconfigure the peripheral in 3-wire mode when you wanted to use that mode and switch to 4-wire mode for the other sensors. Not something that will be supported by CubeMX.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

If suppose this reconfiguration part is implemented , what about the hardware setup?. will it support?

Error_Code_0-1705554640296.png

The hardware setup will be like as shown above. My question is will that 10k resistor between MISO and MOSI can impact the communication between slave 1 and master mcu ?If no how the communication take place?

In 3 wire mode, the MOSI pin is used for both outgoing and incoming data. No need to connect them.

However, no, the 10K shouldn't affect anything, but it's also not necessary.