cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Could not find the path to "ST-Link_gdbserver"".

JRobb.2
Associate II

Hi, I am running the vscode extension on ubuntu 22.04, and am getting the following error when trying to start a debugging session: "Could not find the path to "ST-Link_gdbserver". Ensure STM32CubeIDE is installed.". I have tried reinstalling the latest version of STM32CubeIDE but nothing changed. I have installed all the required programs (CubeMX, CubeCLT, MCUFinder).

The error prompt gives you a button to edit the launch.json to change the debug configuration, but i'm not sure what I'm supposed to change in order to get it to work. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

When starting the debugger it can happen the connection to the board fails with a Visual Studio Code message reporting "Unable to start debugging. No process is associated with this object."

The root cause can be identified in the DEBUG CONSOLE. Most probably the following message is reported: "Error in initializing ST-LINK device. Reason: ST-LINK firmware upgrade required."

To overcome the issue please install and run STM32CubeProg to upgrade the ST-LINK firmware as required.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

Hi @JRobb.2​ 

you would have to add the actual gbdserver path on your system to launch.json

JRobb.2
Associate II

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. However if I knew how to do that I wouldn't be asking this question hehe. So I would need to edit debugServerPath I assume? or is it miDebuggerPath? Also where should I look for the gdbserver? I have cubeIDE installed in its default location, so would it be in /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.12.0/plugins/ ? Which folder/file should I be looking for? Thanks.

JRobb.2
Associate II

Ok, I think I have found the gdbserver executable at "/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.12.0/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.stlink-gdb-server.linux64_2.0.500.202301161003/tools/bin/ST-LINK_gdbserver". I have changed "debugServerPath" in the launch.json to this value, but now I just get the error "Unable to start debugging. No process is associated with this object." instead. Any ideas?

Nawres GHARBI
ST Employee

When starting the debugger it can happen the connection to the board fails with a Visual Studio Code message reporting "Unable to start debugging. No process is associated with this object."

The root cause can be identified in the DEBUG CONSOLE. Most probably the following message is reported: "Error in initializing ST-LINK device. Reason: ST-LINK firmware upgrade required."

To overcome the issue please install and run STM32CubeProg to upgrade the ST-LINK firmware as required.