cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd behavior when opening STM32CubeIDE.app on a Macbook Pro. (not M1)

APagl
Associate II

I am running Big Sur on a Macbook Pro and am trying to download an install STM32CubeIDE.

The installer, in the form of en.st-stm32cubeide_1.7.0_10852_20210715_0634_x86_64.dmg_v1.7.0.zip, downloads fine.

Unzipping it gives the file: st-stm32cubeide_1.7.0_10852_20210715_0634_x86_64.dmg.

I double click the dmg and the STM32CubeIDE folder/windo appears with the st-stlink-server.2.0.2-3.pkg file to be installed first, and the STM32CubeIDE.app icon to be dragged to the Applications folder alias.

I double click the pkg file. The installer window appears. I run through it and am told "The installation was successful."

Then I drag the STM32CubeIDE.app icon to the Applications folder alias.

The Finder tells me it copies STM32CubeIDE (2.77GB) to Applications.

I figure I should be done and all should be well. However, double-clicking on the new STM32CubeIDE.app icon in the Applications folder, the file is "verified" and then I get an alert:

"STM32CubeIDE.app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I've seen similar behavior in STM dev apps before. Interestingly, what I've done before worked here. I cd into /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/MacOS and then execute ./STM32CubeIDE from a terminal command line and ... it runs.

What might be wrong with the file or installation or ... that causes this issue?

Is there something I can do even to the app I have on disk now to allow the STM32CubeIDE.app to run from the Finder, like a well-behaved Mac app? 

1 REPLY 1
APagl
Associate II

Though I wonder why this doesn't happen with other applications I download and install, I have found the answer to my questions.

One needs to enter the following in a terminal in order to get the app out of Apple's quarantine.

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/

This is from: https://www.e-tinkers.com/2021/01/how-to-install-stm32cubeide-on-mac-and-stm32-lora-discovery-kit/comment-page-1/